Quincy Wins H-Vote

By Reed B. Rayman, Contributing Writer

Quincy House won $500 last week following a first-place finish in H-Vote, a competition sponsored by the Institute of Politics (IOP) aimed at increasing voter turnout among Harvard students.

Kirkland and Mather Houses each took home $250 for their second and third place finishes, respectively, and Canaday was awarded $250 for its first-place finish among freshman dorms.

In this semester’s competition, each house tried to get as many people to pledge to vote as possible.

H-Vote, which stands for the Harvard Voter Outreach and Turnout Effort, was founded to motivate undergraduates to get involved in this year’s presidential election.

Co-captain of the Quincy House H-Vote Organization Committee Seamus E. McKiernan ’06 said that the competition unleashed excitement within the house.

“Quincy House has always prided ourselves in being more social and being more into winning competitions and participating more,” he said.

According to Leslie V. Pope ’06, the IOP Chair of the National Campaign Committee, Quincy house was able to get more than 80 percent of its residents to pledge to vote. She said the program had over 3,000 people in its database. “We hope that we started a tradition,” she said.