M. Hockey Sweeps ECAC’s Weekly Awards

Sports brief

By The Crimson Staff

The now-No. 11 Harvard men’s hockey team’s on-ice success translated into a bit of off-ice hardware yesterday.

Goaltender Dov Grumet-Morris, who surrendered just two goals in the Crimson’s wins over ECAC foe Vermont, then No. 10, and Hockey East rival Maine, then No. 11, was selected as the conference’s player of the week and goaltender of the week. He saved a combined 61 shots in those games.

His .935 save percentage ties him for second-best in the country with Cornell’s David McKee. The two trail only Brown’s Adam D’Alba, who has notched a .962 mark, though in five fewer games than either of his in-league counterparts.

Freshman winger Jon Pelle was awarded the league’s rookie of the week honor for the third time this season, this time on the strength of his goal and assist on Saturday, which give him 10 points on the year.

The Crimson also cracked the national polls for the first time this season, ranked No. 11 in the U.S. College Hockey Online/College Sports Television poll and No. 13 in USA Today’s incarnation of the rankings.

Four ECAC teams are ranked in both polls, with Cornell, Colgate and Vermont each recognized among the nation’s best again this week.

Northern Michigan, Harvard’s next opponent, was knocked from the rankings by the Crimson, and is now a de facto No. 16. Should Harvard beat Northern Michigan, its next opponent might be No. 1 Minnesota in the finals of the Dodge Holiday Classic.

Men's Ice Hockey