First-Class Marshal, First-Class Guy

Even sitting in his dining hall, minding his own business, Caleb I. Franklin ’05 can’t escape the unrelenting bombardment of
By M. AIDAN Kelly

Even sitting in his dining hall, minding his own business, Caleb I. Franklin ’05 can’t escape the unrelenting bombardment of praise that seems to follow him wherever he goes. Students passing Franklin call him a “voice of reason” on campus, saying he’s “connected the black community to Harvard.”

Franklin just shrugs it off. “Yeah, I guess so, I’m really just a consummate follower,” he says.

Compulsive joiner might be more accurate.

“I’ve been in CityStep, the Harvard Boxing Club, the Ballroom Dance Club, the South Asian Association, HRDC, the Black Men’s Forum and Black Student’s Association, of course, and I’m the ex-president of the California Club. I hosted Apollo night,” Franklin lists. “When people ask me, what am I mainly involved in? A lot of stuff.”

But a list of achievements too numerous to include here just barely scratches the surface; more impressive by far are Franklin’s goals for the future.

Franklin says he wants to work in developing nations after college. “I’d love to look back on my life and say ‘I helped people accomplish dreams,’” he says.

At Harvard, Franklin has gotten off to a good start in that department. Friends credit him with an ability to bring people together—and inspire them. “He’s comfortable with himself,” says Jay Bacrania ’05. “He’s really able to engage with other people without passing judgment. It’s an inspiration to everyone.”

Sheila Adams ’05 describes him as “insanely sociable, very likable, really intelligent and very articulate—he’s a great friend, always there for you, always boosting people up.”

The class of 2005 confirmed that sentiment when they made him their first class marshal last month. Franklin has big plans for the position, all of them focused on trying to bring the class of 2005 closer together. “I’m like the cruise ship director for the class of 2005,” he explains.

Franklin’s interests and passions run the gamut from small business economics (his father owns one) to Prince (“he doesn’t fall into any lines, racial or sexual; I think he’s great”) to black people (“I just love black people!”), but in the end, he might just be summarized in one word.

“Crazy-ethno-afro-funkadeliciousness,” he offers. “Make it crazy and different, and that’s me.”