Student Groped Near Post Office

By Hana R. Alberts, Crimson Staff Writer

Another Harvard student was groped on Mount Auburn Street yesterday, marking the eighth reported indecent assault near Harvard Square in the last three months.

The victim told the Cambridge Police Department (CPD) that she was groped by a male on a bicycle at around 4:30 p.m. on Mount Auburn Street near the post office, according to CPD spokesperson Frank D. Pasquarello.

The suspect fled on his bicycle immediately after the groping, Pasquarello said.

This is the fourth reported indecent assault in the area over the past month where the suspect was riding a bicycle.

CPD, which classified the incident as indecent assault and battery, is looking into whether the alleged assault is connected to other assaults in the area.

“I have no idea,” Pasquarello said. “We haven’t made an arrest. It’s under investigation.”

After yesterday’s incident, the victim provided a vague suspect description that CPD detectives hope to clarify through another interview with her, Pasquarello said.

Over the past week, two graduate students have told police they were also victims of gropings perpetrated by a man on a bicycle.

A graduate student told police she had been groped by a man on a bicycle at the intersection of Holyoke and Mount Auburn Streets at 8:30 p.m. on Feb. 6.

After learning of that incident, a second graduate student reported Tuesday night that she was assaulted in Harvard Yard at 8:45 p.m. that same Friday.

The second victim from Friday told police she was walking in Tercentenary Theater when a male riding a bicycle stopped beside her, groped her and rode away toward Canaday Hall, according to Harvard University Police Department spokesperson Steven G. Catalano.

—Staff writer Hana R. Alberts can be reached at alberts@fas.harvard.edu.