KSG Student Eyes Congressional Seat

Kennedy School of Government student Samara A. Barend is contemplating a bid for Congress.
By Robin M. Peguero, Crimson Staff Writer

Samara A. Barend has long flirted with politics.

These days she studies it at the Kennedy School of Government (KSG), but come November she may win the chance to live politics as the youngest woman ever to serve in Congress.

The only thing that stands in the way of this 26-year-old jeans-clad Democratic dynamo is the decision of another politician with a Harvard connection.

Nine-term U.S. Representative Amo Houghton ’50, R-N.Y., will announce in early April whether or not he will run again for the seat in New York’s 29th Congressional District.

Barend has worked with Houghton—who hails from the Harvard family for which Houghton Library is named—on economic development in the 29th district and says she has a lot of respect for him.

“I’ve been urged to consider this possibility by Republicans and Democrats—and Independents—folks from all parties,” said Barend. “I would not be running in the event that Houghton runs again.”

These faces of Harvard past and present came to know each other in 1998 while working on an economic development project for their “Southern Tier” region of Upstate New York, which converted New York’s Route 17 into Interstate 86—a project of which Barend is fiercely proud.

“I have worked hard to bring economic development into this region,” says Barend. “My father was a small business owner in upstate New York. He was forced to retire and I felt it incumbent upon myself to get involved.”

This type of development would be central to her platform, should she decide to run, and the I-86 project involved a helpng hand from Houghton.

“He fought very hard to save the district—he’s very invested in the area. He’s made a tremendous contribution,” says Barend. “He’s been very receptive.”

“Sam and Houghton have a good relationship,” says Denise W. King, vice chair of the New York Democratic Committee.

REPUBLICAN BEDFELLOWS

In 2000, Barend worked as the statewide Neighborhood Program Director for the campaign of Sen. Hillary R. Clinton, D-N.Y.

She has supported Sen. John F. Kerry’s campaign for president since the Democrat first announced his candidacy. And if she runs, it will be as a Democrat.

But despite her strong Democratic credentials, the charismatic Barend still manages to draw support from Republicans.

Mike. A Bressler, a student at Harvard Business School (HBS)—and a staunch Republican—raised thousands of dollars for his friend Barend with a fundraiser he organized at HBS.

“I’ll be very upset if George Bush does not win. But in the end of the day, I will support someone I do not ideologically agree with if that someone does good things,” Bressler said. “She sees the world well.”

Bressler says that on some core issues, he agrees with Barend, even though they identify with different parties.

If she runs, Barend would be the only Democrat vying for the seat in this 29th district, which went to Bush in 2000, tossed 25 percent of its vote to Ross Perot in 1992, and has four Republicans who have declared that they will run if Houghton retires.

Still, Barend is not deterred.

“They’re independent spirits out there. They can’t be pigeonholed,” Barend says. “These are folks who respect public officials, those who put policy above partisanship.”

Barend considers herself a “sensible centrist” who is in the middle of the political spectrum. After all, she points out, she mastered her KSG class “Understanding Conservatism,” earning an A.

AGE IS BUT A NUMBER

Houghton has spent nearly as many years representing the 29th district as Barend has been alive. But her supporters say Barend’s relative youth won’t hurt her potential candidacy.

“Her age is a plus,” says King. “People always ask why young people don’t get involved in politics. I’ve watched people of all ages respond to her. She brings that piece of politics that is missing: coming home.”

Rob P. France, who worked with Barend on the I-86 project and is a resident of Barend’s own Steuben County, agrees that Barend’s age should not be a concern.

“Wisdom is not measured by age,” said France. “Sam is full of energy. She’s just an incredibly motivated person. You can’t oversell that.”

Barend is not fazed by the prospect of being the youngest woman to serve in Congress—or the race to get there.

“I’ve always been a competitive athlete,” said Barend, who ran track in high school and college. “I’ve never entered a race unless I’ve been prepared and believe in my heart that I can win.”

FROM THE CLASSROOM TO CONGRESS

Barend says her professors have been “extraordinarily supportive” and generous with their time and advice.

“The brain trust at Harvard—the amount of people with innovative ideas—is a huge, huge resource,” said Barend. “To be surrounded by students who share my passion for public service is just wonderful.”

Fellow KSG student Sara F. Shenkan encourages Barend to enter the race if Houghton does in fact retire.

“It’s been great to see Sam evolve into the leader she’s become. I voted for her in college,” said Shenkan, who also attended the University of Pennsylvania.

Shenkan and Barend laughed about how Barend lost an Undergraduate Assembly election at Penn because of conspiracy—”the fraternities ganged up” on Barend.

Bressler, who worked with Barend on the Undergraduate Assembly, vouches for Barend’s strong work ethic.

“She did more than everyone one else combined,” he said. “She’s a good person and if we don’t help good people get into office, we’ll end up with bad people.”

But for all the support Barend has received from friends and professors at Harvard, she also seems to feel an added pressure at the prospect of carrying a Harvard diploma into Congress. The November election comes just five months after her graduation in June.

“I go to the Kennedy School of Government, named after the ‘Good Samaritan.’ There is a heavy weight on my shoulders to continue my activism,” Barend says.

King says Barend’s intentions are pure and her ambitions selfless.

“For Sam, there’s no ego in this. I wish she had a little more ego,” she said.

“If Amo retires, I do believe she will be the next congressman from the 29th district.”

—Staff writer Robin M. Peguero can be reached at peguero@fas.harvard.edu.