UNIVERSITY CREW ENDS ROW WITH STRONG SPURT

SECOND EIGHT HAS TRIAL AGAINST TIME AND TIDE

Red Top, Conn., June 14.--The University crew got down to work in earnest this afternoon when it paddled six miles without stopping, rowing to the bridge and back. On the return, the stroke was raised and the eight finished with beat held a 36 by F. R. Sullivan '27, who retains his position as coxswain in the University boat. The seating remained unchanged. No time was kept.

J. U. Rows Four Mile Course

This morning the Junior University crew paddled over the two-mile course, holding the stroke at 20. In the afternoon, it rowed to the railroad bridge and over the four mile course. This was a hard row against the tide, with the stroke beginning at 24. At the finish mark, however, the stroke was 39, and the time proved to be 23.45.

1929 Eight Gains Smoothness

The Freshman crew paddled twice today. The men did not press themselves either time. The boat seemed very smooth and well coordinated, more so than it has yet appeared.

The juggling process went on in the case of the Combination crew. The boating is shifted throughout, but it is unknown whether Coach Brown has reached any conclusions as to the permanence of any seating yet tried. As it rowed today, the Combination crew was seated, as follows: stroke, A. O. Pendar '27; 7, W. K. Rice '27; 6, R. S. Riley '27; 5, P. B. Huntington '26; 4, T. D. Howe Jr. '26; 3, K. D. Robinson '29; 2, J. de W. Hubbard '29; bow, George Bancroft '27; cox., A. M. Pappenheimer '29.

Several Time-Trials Expected

Coach Halnes declared today that during the week he expected to hold several time-trials for the University and Freshman crews. For the past week, he has dwelt upon coordination and form and he now intends to supplement these qualities with speed.

The Junior University Crew will doubtless join in the time trials this week, although it had one trial today. The hard row today seems to indicate an easier day tomorrow, however, with small likelihood of a time-trial.

The Combination Crew has made little effort at speed thus far, owing to the uncertainty of the seating; but with a definite boating established, time trials are sure to follow.