Salvemini Tells of Discontent in Italy

Cross, Morize Also Address Editors at War Institute

Professor Gaetano Salvemini, expert on Italian history, told the War Institute of 50 newspaper editors yesterday that the overwhelming majority of Italians hate Mussolini. "Most of them are fifth columnists," he said, "and Mussolini has raised the fifth column."

Professor Salvemini declared that, although an underground movement exists in both Germany and Italy, the Italian one is much farther advanced. He divided the movements into two groups, the Communists, who he said were well organized, but not so numerous, and the lovers of democracy, who, though more sizable a body, were uncoordinated.

Both the Italians and the Germans, as well as the men and women struggling for freedom in the occupied countries, should be told about the plans of the Allies on the Russian border situation, and the treatment of the upper strata of Fascists, who, he emphasized, should be treated harshly.

According to Professor Samuel H. Cross, professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures, the Russians will not be able to bolshevize Europe, since they will be too embroiled in their own internal reconstruction. "If Europe is bolshevized." Professor Cross said, "it won't be due to the Soviets, but to mistakes of our own." These "mistakes," he explained, would be the failure to establish a basis of permanent peace, leaving the nations of the continent open to unrest.

Andre Morize, professor of French Literature, prophesized that Hitler might use Pierre Laval, the French Quisling, as a front for a peace offensive. He also stated that the French people hate Laval and that their sentiments are pro-British and pro-American.