Aces Power Three Shutouts for Softball

Co-captain Kara Brotemarkle closed her Ivy career with two stellar pitching performances, tossing a pair of complete games, allowing just one run while striking out 20. But after a win Saturday, she lost her finale 1-0 yesterday.
By J. PATRICK Coyne and Carrie H. Petri, Crimson Staff Writerss

In a season that is all but over, the Harvard softball team (22-19-1, 9-5 Ivy) enjoyed its final weekend at home with a 3-1 performance. The Crimson outscored its opponents 16-3 in its doubleheaders against Rhode Island (15-31) and Dartmouth (15-20, 5-9) at Soldier’s Field.

HARVARD 8, RHODE ISLAND 0

In a day of dominant Harvard pitching, junior Lauren Bettinelli pitched a nearly perfect game, surrendering just one hit in the Crimson’s second-game victory.

Senior Monica Montijo batted twice in the bottom of the fourth as Harvard ran away with six runs off as many hits in the misty weather.

“We got a wakeup call when we lost [the first game],” said freshman centerfielder Lauren Brown. “We thought, ‘We want to finish the season strong to have momentum going into next year and also to give good memories to the seniors so they go off on a good note.’”

Sophomore third baseman Rachel Murray’s double was the highlight of the inning, plating junior first baseman Cecily Gordon and junior catcher Annie Dell’Aria. Bettinelli also hit a rocket double down the line for an RBI. Montijo, Gordon, Dell’Aria and co-captain second baseman Sara Williamson all hit singles in the inning.

On the mound in the frame, Rhode Island pitcher Lee-Anne Stanovich was replaced by freshman Katie Halcomb, who then allowed five runs before finally striking out Montijo to get out of the inning.

Rhode Island’s lone hit came in the top of the fourth on a single to right field by Kim Custance.

Harvard had built an early 2-0 lead from the first and third innings with an RBI single from Montijo and a sacrifice fly to left field by Dell’Aria. Montijo went 2-for-3 in the game.

RHODE ISLAND 1, HARVARD 0

In one of her last appearances for Harvard, co-captain Kara Brotemarkle made yet another impressive showing. But her career-high 13-strikeout performance was dampened by the one pitch that didn’t go her way.

Rhode Island third baseman Alyssa Martino jumped on the one that was a little too good and sent it sailing over the left field wall for a solo home run in the top of the fourth inning. That one hit, one of just three Rhode Island managed in the game, provided the necessary margin as the Rams snuck away with the game by a score of 1-0.

“It stinks to lose a game on one mistake,” Brown said. “A pitcher should be able to get away with a couple mistakes as long as the offense is behind them.”

A team that has generally been more productive offensively later in the game, the Crimson had a chance to score in the first inning.

Freshman centerfielder Julia Kidder led off with a single to left field. Junior left fielder Lauren Stefanchik knocked one to the third baseman, who threw Kidder out on a fielder’s choice. Stefanchik stole her 10th base of the season and then advanced to third on a ground out by Gordon.

But Stefanchik couldn’t make it home as Murray struck out to end the threat.

Brotemarkle fanned seven batters and gave up one hit in the first three innings.

In the bottom of the third inning, senior shortstop Rachel Goldberg singled to centerfield with one out. But she was thrown out on a fielder’s choice play as Kidder reached first. With Stefanchik at the plate, Kidder was caught stealing.

Ram catcher Gabby Zagami also threw out Stefanchik—Harvard’s season leader in steals—in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Designated player Megan Long cranked the third and final hit for Rhode Island in the top of the seventh, but the Rams were unable to convert it into any scores.

Rhode Island pitcher Jenna Thurston held the Crimson bats off in the fifth and sixth innings, but she showed some vulnerability in the bottom of the seventh.

With one out, sophomore right fielder Pilar Adams took first on a walk. Brown substituted to pinch run for Adams. Up next, pinch hitter Montijo singled to right field, putting runners on first and second with just one out.

But they were unable to get any farther as two infield plays cleared the bases, stranding two Harvard runners. The Crimson took the loss despite outhitting the Rams 5-3.

HARVARD 3, DARTMOUTH 2

The Crimson closed out Ivy league play with a come-from-behind win over Dartmouth and a sweep of the Big Green on Saturday.

The game’s five runs were scored on four home runs, with the biggest blasts belonging to Dell’Aria and Williamson.

Dartmouth grabbed an early 1-0 lead after Jodee Thompson took Bettinelli deep in the top of the first.

Both Bettinelli and the Big Green’s Brittany Copenhaver threw up zeroes for the next four innings until Kelly Fry’s lead-off dinger to left center in the fifth made the score 2-0.

Harvard’s response was swift, as Williamson smacked a leadoff homer of her own in the bottom of the inning to cut the Dartmouth lead in half.

Williamson’s first home run of the year sparked the Crimson offense, as Goldberg struck a single to center and moved to second while Kidder reached on an error. The bases were loaded when Stefanchik beat out a bunt for a hit.

Gordon hit a ground ball that was fielded and forced Goldberg out at home.

With a 2-2 count, Fritsch injured herself swinging in both her second and third at-bats.

“I dislocated my shoulder,” she said. “It’s a recurring injury.”

Fritsch will miss the final game of the season on Tuesday.

Freshman Becky Voaklander pinch hit and grounded out to end the threat.

Yet the very next inning would see Harvard have even better scoring opportunities.

Another leadoff home run, this time from Dell’Aria, knotted the game at 2-2.

Brown followed with a pinch-hit single to right, and a Williamson sacrifice bunt allowed her to move to scoring position.

Montijo sent a drive to center, and Brown attempted to tag up and move to third.

But the throw in from centerfield wound up in the Big Green dugout, and Brown was waved home for the winning run.

Voaklander tossed a scoreless sixth, picking up the win, and Brotemarkle came in to secure her third save of the year.

Stefanchik went 2-for-3, and Williamson and Dell’Aria each notched home runs.

HARVARD 4, DARTMOUTH 0

Saturday’s first game saw Brotemarkle toss a gem, limiting Dartmouth to seven hits while striking out seven in her sixth shutout of the year.

A dedication ceremony for the seniors preceded the game, and all four seniors played.

“It’s a good start for the game if you’re playing to have a good ending for your seniors,” Fritsch said.

“The leadership on this year’s team has been really good,” Brown added. “And we all respect the seniors a lot. They have really brought this program back to a good spot and left Harvard softball with a really good reputation.”

The Crimson took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second, as Bettinelli opened the inning with a single to right and then stole second. Goldberg followed with a liner down the right field line, giving Harvard runners at the corners. A Montijo grounder allowed Bettinelli to come home with the only run that the Crimson would need.

In the top of the fourth, Brotemarkle got into trouble with runners on first and second and no outs. But she induced Fry to line softly to Bettinelli at second, who doubled up pinch-runner Lacey Neahr at second base.

The Big Green’s Ashley Thorfinnson then sent a sinking line drive to right field.

Kidder charged the ball, diving forward and to her left and making the spectacular catch to short-circuit the Dartmouth rally.

Harvard padded its cushion in the top of the fifth. Montijo led off with a single through the left side, and sophomore center fielder Kerry Flaherty’s sacrifice bunt advanced the runner.

Kidder lofted a ball over the second baseman’s head and then stole second. With two runners in scoring position, Harvard coach Jenny Allard sent Adams to the plate to pinch hit for Stefanchik. The move proved apt, as Adams blasted a towering shot to center that didn’t need the aid of the strong wind that was blowing all day to clear the fence easily.

Brotemarkle recorded the last three outs with a small measure of difficulty. After managing the first out, Brotemarkle allowed a single through the left side and then a bloop single to left that put runners at first and second. But the co-captain buckled down and struck out Kerry Conway and gave up a liner that traveled right into the glove of Kidder in right.

Bettinelli, Kidder and Montijo each went 2-for-3, with Montijo adding an RBI and a double that smacked two-thirds up the center-field fence.

The Crimson will play its final game of the year at 4 p.m. tomorrow at Soldiers Field against Boston College.

—Staff writer J. Patrick Coyne can be reached at coyne@fas.harvard.edu. —Staff writer Carrie H. Petri can be reached at cpetri@fas.harvard.edu.

Softball