Men's and Women's Tennis Teams To Learn NCAA Fate Tomorrow

By The Crimson Staff

Both the Harvard men’s and women’s tennis teams capped off their seasons with Ivy titles—and thus both squads earned berths into the 2004 NCAA Tennis Championships.

But though the Ivy titles were clinched in April, both the No. 21 men (17-6, 7-0 Ivy) and the No. 34 women (14-9, 7-0) have to wait until tomorrow to find out where and whom they are playing.

The National Selection Committee’s May 5 decisions will be broadcast on ESPNews at 4:35 p.m. Eastern time.

Harvard bid on both tournaments, which would be held at the Beren Tennis Center should the Crimson recieve them.

Wherever the first rounds are played, though, action will commence on the weekend of May 15-6.

The Crimson men boast two top-100 players in co-captain David Lingman and junior Jonathan Chu, and they look to avenge last year’s second-round 4-0 loss to Alabama following a 4-3 Harvard victory over Virginia Commonwealth. Moreover, the team has five seniors who look to prolong their Harvard careers at least a few more weeks.

And though the Harvard women will not graduate anybody come June, the squad also boasts a pair of top-100 players in junior co-captains Courtney Bergman and Susanna Lingman. Last year, the Crimson defeated Oklahoma State 4-1 and Arizona 4-3 before falling 4-0 at the hands of Stanford.

Women's Tennis