W. Soccer Upsets BC, Takes Beanpot

By Jonathan P. Hay, Crimson Staff Writer

Everybody knows that exhibition games don’t count in the standings, but the Harvard women’s soccer team still feels pretty good about this one.

Despite being the sole team in the Beanpot tournament to have its offseason practice schedule restricted by league rules, the Crimson still managed to take home top honors over Boston College, Boston University and Northeastern in the annual round-robin competition that took place at BU on April 18.

“We’re really excited,” said newly elected sophomore co-captain Falyne Chave. “It’s the first time we’ve won [the Beanpot] since anyone can remember.”

Undoubtedly Harvard’s most noteworthy effort came against the Eagles. Playing against an opponent that was ranked as high as No. 13 during the fall season, the Crimson offense put four goals on the board—a feat all the more impressive considering Beanpot games are just 50 minutes instead of the standard 90—while the defense kept BC under wraps as Harvard posted a 4-0 victory over the Eagles.

“It’s great that we scored a ton of goals,” Chave said. “Our strength definitely wasn’t scoring goals last season.”

Junior midfielder Alisha Moran—the team’s leading scorer in the fall—contributed two of the four goals, while sophomore forward Claire Lukeman converted a penalty kick and outgoing captain Caitlin Fisher also tallied a goal, accounting for the Crimson offense.

Harvard’s other Beanpot victory came at the expense of the Huskies, as the Crimson defense once again proved impregnable, allowing Harvard to take a 1-0 decision over Northeastern on the strength of a Moran goal.

Adding in a 0-0 tie with the Terriers, the Crimson’s record stood at 2-0-1 for the day, good enough to take home top honors. The feat is even more impressive when viewed in light of the strict Ivy League rules for offseason practices.

“[With the restrictions] it takes more initiative from the captains and the players, but the extra practice really paid off,” said senior Katie Hodel. “Our first game looked more like a midseason game. It’s a testament to the hard work everyone’s been doing in the offseason.”

“The situation is not ideal, but it’s something we can work with,” added Chave.

In the offseason, the team is allowed to participate in conditioning and training exercises, as well as in individual sessions with coaches that involve no more than four players.

These individual sessions can continue until the Crimson’s “non-traditional” season begins, which happens just after Spring Break. During this time, the team is allotted a total of twelve practice sessions in which the coaches, the players and a soccer ball can all be present at the same time—though head coach Tim Wheaton noted that two of those sessions are taken up by play dates.

To compensate for these restraints on their ability to practice, the members of the team spend more time working on their skills individually as well as participating in captain’s practices, which Chave and fellow co-captain junior Liza Barber organized every week.

“We’re fortunate to have girls who are really committed to being the best players that they can be,” said Wheaton. “They don’t need me to drive them. They just love to play.”

According to Wheaton, the basic logic behind the Ivy League restrictions on offseason practicing is to ensure that players have time to be involved in other activities and don’t have their lives consumed year-round by soccer.

“I do believe very much in the [Ivy League] approach,” said Wheaton. “Philosophically, it’s the right thing. It lets [players] do all of the other things that make Harvard special. If they’re not going to take advantage of their opportunities, they shouldn’t be here.”

One member of the team is playing for the varsity lacrosse team, while another is spending the semester in Italy.

“The spirit of the rule is good,” added Hodel. “They want student-athletes to be students as well as athletes and to be involved in other groups.”

However, despite its admirable objective, some players feel that the rule does not always accomplish its goal.

“It’s easier during the [regular] season, because it helps you organize and prioritize,” Hodel said. “[The rule] is almost like a negative. I see the reasoning behind it, but for a lot of us, we do all those things already.

“We’re used to having a busy schedule. It’s a good balance for the players.”

Hodel also commended Wheaton for his willingness to help players adjust their schedule so that they can participate in any class or activity that they want.

Next up for Harvard is a trip to Europe over the summer, in a large part thanks to the extensive fundraising efforts by the team. The Crimson will leave just after graduation and will travel to England, France and Italy, playing five games along the way.

—Staff writer Jonathan P. Hay can be reached at hay@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Soccer