Palestinian Advocate Plots New Peace Path

Ashrawi criticizes Israeli, U.S. tactics while urging negotiated solution

Hanan Ashrawi spoke at the IOP yesterday. An ex-minister in the Palestinian Authority, she strongly criticized Israeli and U.S. policy in the Middle East.
By Michael Gould-wartofsky, Contributing Writer

Palestinian advocate Hanan Ashrawi criticized the policies of the Israeli and U.S. governments, condemned the use of terror tactics, and reiterated her support for a negotiated solution in the Middle East during a speech before an overflow crowd at the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum last night.

A longtime activist and academic, Ashrawi served as minister of higher education under the Palestinian Authority until 1998, when she resigned in protest of corruption. She then founded the Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and Democracy, in which she has since served as secretary-general.

Ashrawi spoke of the urgency of reviving the stalled peace process, after years of violence that have taken the lives of thousands. She vigorously criticized the government of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon for what she called its “reoccupation” of Palestinian land, its disengagement plan in the Gaza strip, its construction of a separation wall in the West Bank, and its failure to renew multilateral peace efforts.

Ashrawi also expressed her opposition to Bush administration policies in the region, ranging from its roadmap plan to what she called “a mutual admiration society between Bush and Sharon.” She cited a “knowledge and foresight deficit” in U.S. foreign policy, and said “the United States has become an overt partner in Israel’s occupation of Palestine.”

The criticism was not reserved for the Israelis and Americans, however. Ashrawi reprehended the Palestinian Authority, saying that it had “failed its own people.” She urged free elections and an “agenda of both peace and democracy” in the region. And, in response to a challenge from an audience member, she condemned suicide bombings and the targeting of Israeli civilians.

She went on to say that it was “equally horrible to have an F-16 shell an apartment. There is an equal value to all human lives.”

Some members of the audience were not satisfied with her response. “Equating Israeli actions against terror with Palestinian suicide bombings is morally reprehensible,” said David B. Adelman ’04, outreach chair and former president of Harvard Students for Israel, after the event. “She made it seem that everyone is waiting for peace, and that it’s in Israel’s hands. The truth is far from that.”

Opponents of Ashrawi also demonstrated outside, distributing literature that questioned the ex-minister’s commitment to peace. Other protesters, echoing Ashrawi’s views, advocated an end to Israeli military action in Palestinian territories.

Meanwhile, a contentious question-and-answer period ensued in the Forum, and a police detail of more than half a dozen officers stood at both sides of Ashrawi.

Ashrawi delivered a stinging rebuke of Frankfurter Professor of Law Alan M. Dershowitz, a vocal advocate of Israel who spoke at the forum on Monday. “Academics should not become propagandists for anyone, or apologists for anyone,” she said, referring to Dershowitz.

At the same time, she urged Harvard to take a stronger stance for the academic freedom of Middle East scholars.

She also praised members of the Harvard community and the audience, saying, “I wish this type of critical thinking was found in places like Washington. Maybe it will be contagious.”

Though Ashrawi had her share of critics yesterday, many in the audience said Ashrawi’s was a rare voice of reason and moderation.

“She presented a strong and convincing argument based on pragmatism and hope, instead of pessimism and despair,” Rami R. Sarafa ’07 said.

And Krister B. Anderson ’07, who also came to the Forum to see Dershowitz on Monday, said he appreciated being able to hear opinions on both sides of the issue.

“This is an exercise that needs to happen more often,” he said.