Male Rookie of the Year Runner-Up: Siddharth Suchde

By David H. Stearns, Crimson Staff Writer

Freshman Siddharth Suchde didn’t surprise anyone in the world of collegiate squash this year.

He didn’t sneak up on the compeittion.

He didn’t come out of nowhere with his strong season.

Instead, Suchde performed just as everyone thought and predicted he would: He distinguished himself as the nation’s top freshman and Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

“I wasn’t sure what college squash was really going to be like,” said Suchde, who came to Harvard after attending high school in Scotland. “You have to adjust to the team squash...It’s been quite satisfying.”

Harvard coach Satinder Bajwa certainly had no doubts about whether Suchde could succeed in his new environment.

Back in December, before the Crimson had faced any serious competition, Bajwa predicted that his stellar freshman would be among the top newcomers in the nation.

“I think he will lead the team at either No. 1 or No. 2, if he’s injury-free,” Bajwa said at the time.

“As a freshman, he’s probably one of the most prominent stars we’ve had in years...He’ll definitely be a first-team All-American if not rookie of the year.” he added.

Suchde competed at the No. 2 spot for most of the season behind sophomore Will Broadbent and finished the season as the intercollegiate No. 4 player in the country.

He became the first Harvard player to win the prestigious Junior Scottish Open and then went on to help the Crimson come within just a few points of upsetting powerhouse Trinity College and claiming the national championship.

Harvard finished the season ranked No. 2 in the nation in intercollegiate squash. For Suchde, though, there’s plenty more to do in his next three years as a member of the squad.

“It’s a good start, but I think it can get better than that,” he said.

The rest of the Harvard men’s squash team certainly hopes he’s right.

—Staff writer David H. Stearns can be reached at stearns@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Squash