Houses To Budget Brain Breaks

Sewit Teckie ’05, Quincy House Committee co-chair, grabs one of the last leftover bagels left at brain break yesterday evening in Quincy’s brand-new dining hall.  Houses are planning more substantial study breaks this fall.
Sewit Teckie ’05, Quincy House Committee co-chair, grabs one of the last leftover bagels left at brain break yesterday evening in Quincy’s brand-new dining hall. Houses are planning more substantial study breaks this fall.
By Wendy D. Widman, Crimson Staff Writer

Smoothie Nights and Red Sox celebrations could replace stale bagels and picked- over cakes at some Brain Breaks this year, thanks to a shift in budgeting.

In a change this fall, Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) will grant each House control over its Brain Break budget rather than dictating the hours and menu for each House, HUDS Director Ted A. Mayer said.

The size of each House’s snack budget depends on the number of students it serves.

“We made the policy change because, number one, we’re aware that students would like a better selection of food at Brain Break,” Mayer said, “and, number two, Houses have their own likes and dislikes and we wanted to give them the freedom to plan accordingly.”

While freshmen can expect the same schedule in Loker as in previous years, the Houses are in the process of deciding how to exercise their newfound freedom—which could mean cutting back on Brain Break hours to free up funds for better food.

“The House Masters and HoCos are still kind of dealing with it,” Mayer said of the switch. “It’s still very fluid.”

Most dining hall managers confirmed that they were still waiting to hear from House Masters and students before setting a final schedule.

“In fine Adams House tradition, they haven’t made a decision yet,” said David Seley, the Adams House dining manager.

While waiting for feedback, Seley said that the staff would continue to provide typical Brain Breaks.

“But, maybe they’ll want to save up all the money throughout the week and just throw a big party on one night,” he joked. “Whatever it is, we’re completely at the power of the House.”

While Seley joked about a once-a-week extravaganza, Steve Sandblom, the manager of Cabot and Pforzheimer dining halls, said that the Cabot House Master has requested a special Brain Break once a week.

“Wednesdays will be a slightly more upscale Brain Break,” Seley said. “We will feature a bunch of cereals and some nice, high-end desserts like cheesecake and apple pie.”

According to Sandblom, Cabot will continue to offer bagels, leftover desserts and peanut butter and jelly on other nights.

Quincy House Master Robert P. Kirshner ’70 said Quincy “has done the arithmetic” and will have money for “plain vanilla” Brain Breaks and special occasions.

“During exam period, I think jello molded into the shape of the human brain will be good,” he said. “I think we’ll have frosted items for the first frost.”

Eliot and Kirkland are considering dropping a night altogether.

“Tentatively, we’re looking at having Brain Break from Sunday to Wednesday,” said Ed Salerno, manager of Eliot and Kirkland dining halls. “But we’re going back and forth with the HoCos.”

Kirkland House Master Tom Conley said that Brain Breaks “promote nonchalantly productive study,” but suggested that perhaps the House grille was another way for students to satisfy their cravings on Thursday nights.

“The Brain Break is still a work in progress in that we’re always going to be looking at it throughout the year,” said Leverett House Manager Arthur Robins.

Students who feel strongly about Brain Break should consult either their Masters or HoCo with suggestions because, according to Maureen Johannessen, manager of Mather and Dunster dining halls, “the managers are at the mercy of the Houses now.”

—Rebecca D. O’Brien contributed to the reporting of this story.

—Staff writer Wendy D. Widman can be reached at widman@fas.harvard.edu.