SPORTS BRIEF: Wrestling struggles at Lone Star Duals, loses all three dual meets on weekend

By Pablo S. Torre, Crimson Staff Writer

If the losses are any indication, then the Harvard wrestling team discovered that everything is indeed bigger in Texas.

Saturday’s Lone Star Duals signaled a rough weekend for the Crimson as the team lost its three dual meets with Eastern Michigan, Stanford and Cal State Fullerton by scores of 38-13, 25-10 and 29-16, respectively.

But the trip to Dallas was not without its individual bright spots.

Junior captain Mike Baria was perfect on the weekend, taking all three of his matches in the 141-lb. weight class. He beat Eastern Michigan’s Ahmed Joumaa on a 6-1 decision, Stanford’s Chris Hagyworth on a 4-3 decision, and Cal State Fullerton’s Juan Mora 7-6.

Sophomore powerhouse Bode Ogunwole, wrestling in the 285-lb. bracket, was similarly unblemished, dominating his two matches against Stanford’s Shawn Ritzenhaler and Cal State Fullerton’s Chris Chambers with a 14-6 decision and a 10-1 major decision, in that order.

Senior heavyweight Jonas Corl, who wrestled in place of Ogunwole against Eastern Michigan, also won his match against Charlie Walker on an 11-3 decision, marking a weekend sweep of the 285-lb. division.

Sophomore Robbie Preston turned in a spotless weekend of his own in the 125-lb. class on the strength of a forfeit, a 5-1 decision over Stanford’s Nathan Peterson, and a 1:12 pin against Cal State Fullerton’s Jesse Miramontes.

The other Harvard win was turned in by freshman Dominic DeNunzio in the 149-lb. bracket, who brushed off two earlier losses to beat Cal State Fullerton’s Jeff Silva on a 4-3 decision.

The Crimson will now look ahead to West Point, where they will wrestle Army on Jan. 28

Wrestling