Offensive Outburst Sparks Crimson

By Caleb W. Peiffer, Crimson Staff Writer

The Crimson put forth an offensive display not seen from Harvard basketball since the 20th century last night, running over Sacred Heart (1-11, 0-3 Northeast), 97-84, in its final non-league game of the 2004-2005 season. It’s been nearly seven years since the Crimson (6-9, 1-1 Ivy) posted at least 97 points in a game, when Harvard pasted Brown 111-63 in the final game of the 1997-98 season.

This time, Harvard scored fifty-two of its points in an impressive first half, during which it shot a blistering 74.1 percent from the field.

“Certainly the story for us was the outstanding first half we had on offense,” Harvard coach Frank Sullivan said. “I don’t think we’ve had a half like that in a long, long time.”

The Crimson did everything right before the intermission, displaying what the team is capable of when all aspects of the attack are working at the same time.

Harvard hit the three (8-of-14), the two (12-of-13) and found open teammates (14 assists).

“I thought we had good balance, inside-outside passing, good distribution,” Sullivan said.

CUS-WORTH ANOTHER LOOK

The Crimson was led to victory by sophomore center Brian Cusworth, who had the best statistical game of his young Harvard career. Taking advantage of an undersized Sacred Heart frontcourt that was without Sudanese 7’2 senior Mading Mading, Cusworth poured in a career high 21 points on a staggering 9-of-11 from the floor. Having his way in the low post, the seven-footer hit a variety of turnaround jumpers, hook shots, and power layups to propel Harvard to the victory.

“Coach [Sullivan] basically just told me to stick with the simple moves, [to] think before I make a move,” Cusworth said. “Sticking to the fundamentals was what helped me.”

Cusworth’s performance was even more impressive coming on the heels of two shaky outings against Dartmouth. Struggling to get back into the offense after sitting out four games with a finger injury, Cusworth shot a combined 7-of-23 in the Crimson’s home-and-home split with the Big Green.

Against Sacred Heart, Cusworth finally shook off the rust, displaying his potential to dominate in the paint.

“People really underestimate how tough it is to come back from just sitting out for a while,” Cusworth said. “Coach has said to me specifically that I was just trying to do too much...I felt like I was trying to make up for lost time.”

GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS

Harvard was extremely successful at aggressively attacking the hoop and getting to the free throw line, something the Crimson has not done for most of the season. The squad shot a season-high 35 free throws on the evening—but only managed to hit 22 of its attempts from the stripe, a mediocre 62.9 percent.

“We certainly got to the line enough, so we have to make a better percentage,” Sullivan said. “It’s a concern to say the least...getting there is the first thing, though.”

Senior point guard David Giovacchini led the way for the Crimson, hitting all six of his free throws, while Cusworth and sophomore Jim Goffredo were each 3-of-4. Captain Jason Norman and senior guard Kevin Rogus combined to hit only 6-of-12, however, continuing their seasonal struggles from the line.

“It’s one of those things that can definitely determine the outcome of the game to be a win or loss,” Cusworth said. “I think overall we have a pretty good free throw shooting team...it’s just about concentration.”

CALM BEFORE THE STORM

Harvard will have plenty of time to study before heading into its own exam period—the gauntlet of the Ivy League schedule.

The Crimson’s next game is not until Jan. 29, when it travels to Cornell to battle the Big Red in the first of its final twelve games, all against members of the Ancient Eight.

“It’s always tough going into the rest of reading period and exam period, just because you get a little bit out of the rhythm,” Cusworth said, “but I think the one thing this [win] did for us was give us a great boost of confidence.”

The distraction of final exams will provide a challenge for the team, but Sullivan likes where his squad is situated heading into the break.

“[Six wins] is not the number that we wanted, but it’s not that bad,” Sullivan said. “There is momentum...unlike last year, there is some forward progress.”

After playing nine of its first 15 games away from Lavietes Pavilion, Harvard can also take solace in the fact that there will be an equal number of home and road games, against familiar foes, from here on out.

“We know the landscape a little bit better,” Sullivan said. “I think there’s a comfort level, [because] we know where we’re going...and I think there’ll be some better energy.”

—Staff writer Caleb W. Peiffer can be reached at cpeiffer@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Basketball