Brown Rolls; Yale Grabs Ivy Lead

Brown running back Nick Hartigan broke the Bears’ career rushing mark with his 124-yard performance against Fordham.
By Associated press

ASSOCIATED PRESS

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Nick Hartigan broke Brown’s career rushing record as the Bears defeated Fordham 37-14 on Saturday.

The senior running back gained 124 yards on 28 carries and scored one touchdown.

Hartigan increased his career rushing total to 3,347 yards, which surpassed the previous record of 3,266 set by Michael Malan from 1999-2001. Hartigan’s touchdown gave him 39 for his career which tied Malan for another Brown record.

Brown (3-1) converted five turnovers by Fordham (0-5) into 20 points, including 10 during a 25-second span in the second quarter.

Brandon Markey recovered a fumbled punt, setting up a 30-yard field goal by Steve Morgan that gave Brown a 17-7 lead.

Frank Nuzzo then intercepted a Derric Daniels pass, and on the next play, Joe DiGiacomo threw a 34-yard scoring strike to Lonnie Hill for a 24-7 lead at halftime.

LAFAYETTE 14, COLUMBIA 7

EASTON, Pa.—Jonathan Hurt scored on a pair of one-yard runs to rally Lafayette to a 14-7 win over Columbia in heavy, drenching rain Saturday.

Hurt rushed for a career-high 149 yards and the Lafayette defense locked down Columbia’s offense for the last 58 minutes, giving up just 82 total yards and forcing three turnovers.

Trailing 7-0, Lafayette (5-1) took advantage of a Columbia miscue, recovering a botched snap at the Columbia 37. Hurt carried for 25 yards and 11 yards on the first two plays and then busted into the end zone on the next snap to tie the game with 11:05 left in the first quarter.

Hurt added another one-yard touchdown run in the third quarter to cap a 12-play, 57-yard drive that featured a 13-yard run by quarterback Brad Maurer on third-and-12.

COLGATE 16, PRINCETON 10

PRINCETON, N.J.—Jordan Scott ran for 112 yards and a touchdown as Colgate beat Princeton 16-10 on Saturday.

The Raiders (3-2) appeared ready to roll to an easy victory after they scored twice in the game’s first three minutes, but the Tigers (3-1) defense soon stiffened and kept Colgate off the board until the fourth quarter.

However, Princeton’s offense could muster little success on the day, scoring its only touchdown on a 34-yard pass from Jeff Terrell to Greg Fields early in the fourth quarter. The Tigers then got the ball back late in the game after Colgate’s Mike Rava hit a 22-yard field goal, but Terrell threw four straight incompletions and Colgate ran out the clock.

The Raiders first score came on Scott’s one-yard run just a minute into the game, but Rava’s extra-point attempt failed. However, Colgate’s J.J. Bennett then stripped Jay McCareins on the ensuing kickoff, and Mike Sarceno threw a 12-yard scoring pass to Kenny Parker two minutes later.

YALE 13, DARTMOUTH 0

NEW HAVEN, Conn.—Alex Faherty and Todd Feiereisen each caught 20-yard touchdown passes from Jeff Mroz as Yale defeated Dartmouth 13-0 during a driving downpour Saturday in the Yale Bowl.

It was the first shutout since 2000 for the Bulldogs (2-2, 2-0 Ivy League).

Dartmouth (1-3, 0-2) was unable to take advantage of four Yale turnovers, including a fumble recovery on the Bulldogs’ 13 by Mike Rabil with 12:10 left in the second quarter. Yale defensive end Brandon Dyches had two of his three sacks on the ensuing Big Green drive, pushing Dartmouth back to the 26. Dartmouth kicker Erik Hinterbichler missed a 43-yard field goal from there.

He also missed a 37-yard attempt with 5:05 left in the half.

Faherty caught four passes for 72 yards, including his touchdown grab with 1:52 remaining in the first quarter. Feiereisen caught his TD pass with 9:05 left in the fourth quarter on a fourth-and-five play, culminating an eight-play, 77-yard drive. Mike McLeod (22 rushes, 83 yards) had two key runs in the drive with gains of 19 and 30 yards.

PENN 53, BUCKNELL 7

PHILADELPHIA—Pat McDermott threw two touchdown passes and the Quaker defense added two scores to lead Penn to a 53-7 rout of Bucknell on Saturday.

McDermott finished the day 11-for-23 for 180 yards and two scores as Penn (3-1, 1-0) defeated the Bison (1-3, 0-1) for the third straight season and the ninth time in their last 11 meetings.

Playing in heavy rain for the entire game, the teams combined for 11 fumbles, six by Bucknell.

McDermott hit tight end Chris Mizell with a 15-yard touchdown pass 5:21 into the first quarter. Less than two minutes into the second, Bucknell quarterback Mahdi Woodard fumbled at his own eight-yard line and defensive back Greg Ambrogi fell on the loose ball in the end zone to make it 14-0.

McDermott connected with Matt Carre on a 24-yard touchdown pass across the middle with 8:55 remaining in the half, and Penn scored again just over a minute later as cornerback Scott Williams intercepted Woodard and returned it 48 yards to give Penn a 28-point lead.

Football