Harvard takes 14th at Macdonald Cup; no players finish under par

By Tony D. Qian, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s golf team finished tied 14th at the Macdonald Cup this weekend in New Haven, Conn. The Crimson carried the same five golfers that played in the St. John’s Invitational two weeks ago. Captain D. J. Hynes and junior Tom Hegge were accompanied by the three freshmen, John Christensen, Michael Shore, and Josh Isner.

Harvard shot a combined 610 in two rounds of play and finished tied with St. Thomas Aquinas. Rain postponed Saturday’s first round until Sunday morning, and players completed the second round in the afternoon.

None of the Crimson players put up red numbers this weekend. Harvard’s best individual score was a 73, shared by Hynes and Hegge in the final round of play. The Crimson finished well behind Penn, which finished 30 strokes ahead with a final score of 580.

Shore followed up his dazzling performance last weekend, where he shot one-under-par to finish third in the ECAC Championships, with a sub-par effort. He shot a combined 155 (79-76) to finished tied 70th, one shot behind Christensen and four ahead of Isner.

Hynes led the team with a 149 and finished tied 35th. Hegge, who shot a 79 in the first round, finished tied 53rd and three shots behind Hynes.

Field conditions, especially on Saturday, made it tough on all players, as only 13 individual rounds were completed at or below par out of a total of 216 rounds played. Dustin Wetherup of Hartford University, one of the few players who found a way to thrive in the bad weather, finished well ahead of the rest of the field, clubbing an impressive 67-67, six shots under par for the tournament.

—TONY D. QIAN

Men's Golf