Leo’s ‘Restless Genius’ Wrests Nomination

“Wit and Humor” prof Damrosch grabs nod for National Book Award

Popular English professor Leo Damrosch has written a remarkable biography of Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
By Joshua S. Downer, Contributing Writer

Leo Damrosch is already the instructor of one of the most popular non-Core courses at Harvard, the 227-student English 185: “Wit and Humor.” Now Damrosch, who holds the Berenbaum chair in literature, could soon add another impressive credential to his intimidating curriculum vitae: this year’s National Book Award for Nonfiction.

Damrosch is the author of “Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Restless Genius,” one of five nominees for the prestigious award. Damrosch—who has already introduced hundreds of Harvard students to the world of Rousseau in Literature and Arts A-72: “The Enlightenment Invention of the Modern Self,” which he will offer again next fall – says he wanted to create an accessible biography “that made Rousseau’s life interesting to the ordinary reader. The existing biographies of him, while thorough, are somewhat long and boring.”

“Most people have heard of ‘The Social Contract,’” Damrosch says, referring to Rousseau’s 1762 book outlining the contours of a legitimate political system. “But that’s it.” Damrosch adds, “I wanted that to change.”

In his new book, Damrosch offers an up-close-and-personal view of the philosopher. “Rousseau’s disappointing sex life, anxiety, remorse, and incredible social awkwardness affected greatly his life and writings,” Damrosch says. “This book is about who he was, and the themes that it carries throughout are relevant and fascinating.”

The National Book Foundation seems to have agreed. Damrosch says that the foundation often selects finalists that didn’t originally receive sufficient attention from critics. “Magazines that didn’t make space for reviews for my book before are taking a second look,” Damrosch says.

All the finalists will gather in New York, November 15 and 16 for a book signing and a public reading of their work at The New School before the awards ceremony, according to the foundation’s website. Damrosch says he is looking forward to humorist and radio personality Garrison Keillor hosting the black-tie awards dinner at the Marriot Marquis in Times Square.

“This will be gathering of some of America’s best writers,” says Damrosch, “and I think it’s great that we get to share our work together.” The Foundation will give a lifetime achievement award before announcing the winners.

Damrosch says that at this point, it is a no-lose situation. He jokes, “Whether I win the award or not, I still get to put a gold sticker on my book.”

Steven J. Greenblatt, the Cogan university professor of the humanities at Harvard, was a finalist for the award last year for his biography of Shakespeare, “Will in the World.” Another current Harvard scholar, Cowles Professor of Sociology Orlando Patterson, won the nonfiction award in 1991 for “Freedom, Volume 1.”