Harvard Loses Heartbreaker in 2OT to No. 18 BU

By Theodore E. Skowronski, Contributing Writer

For the Harvard field hockey team, a chilly October night could do little to change its recent misfortune. The Crimson (5-10, 1-4 Ivy), lost its ninth consecutive game against the No.18 Boston University Terriers (12-5) last night at frigid Jordan Field. As Harvard’s losing streak progresses, the losses seem to become more and more heartbreaking, with the latest coming in a 2-1 double overtime loss.

“All the losses hurt because we can’t allow ourselves to tolerate it,” captain Jen McDavitt said. “However, this one is so painful because we left it all on the field, especially so for the seniors because our careers are going to end so soon.”

The Crimson needed to shut down BU star sophomore forward Pam Spuehler, the reigning America East rookie of the year.

“She is a very athletic player with speed that we could not match one on one,” Caples said. “Our strategy was to deny her the ball and Kristen Keating did a fantastic job of shutting her off and closing in quickly whenever she did get the ball.”

The strategy paid off for 76:57, until Spuehler, flustered all day by the Harvard game plan, emerged from above the Harvard circle with the ball. Despite her exhaustion, Spuehler found an extra burst of speed and closed in on Connolly all alone. Charging out of the net to cut down the shot angle, Connolly could do little as Spuehler darted to the right and tucked the game winning goal into the back of the net.

Coming into the game, history seemed to be on the Crimson’s side as this year’s seniors have never lost to BU. When play began, the Crimson was caught on its heels as the Terriers controlled possession in the opening minutes of the game.

The Harvard defense held strong behind sophomore goalie Siobhan Connolly who was making her second collegiate start in place of injured freshman Kelly Knoche. Connolly saved six shots on goal on the day while her Terrier counterpart, Erin Prediger, posted five saves in the victory.

After a scoreless first half, Harvard improved its offensive game with senior forward Beverlie Ting scored at 47:14 to put the Crimson up 1-0.

After a Harvard penalty corner was successfully defended by the Terriers, Ting gained possession and made a run towards the BU goal. Her initial shot was saved, but Harvard players frantically shot at the net until Ting tucked a rebound into the top shelf past the scrambling BU players.

“We were really just trying to maintain possession and get quality shots off,” Ting said. “With the goalie down, we had a great opportunity and were able to convert.”

However the lead was short lived as Hadley Adams took advantage of a scramble in front of the Harvard goal and snuck a low shot past Connolly.

Each team had its opportunities throughout regulation. BU held a 6-2 advantage in penalty corners but neither team could convert a corner in this game.

In an overtime field hockey game the number of field players is reduced by four, from 10 to six. Therefore, fatigue would prove to be a major factor in how this game was to end. The two teams battled end to end in the first sudden death period. While each had chances to score, the passes and shots were a little too wide.

In a double overtime situation, strategy becomes an even more critical element of the game.

“In this situation its important to keep the fastest, most skilled six players on the field,” Crimson head coach Sue Caples said. “However, I always try to rotate some fresh legs in to give our girls a rest.”

Harvard closes out the season with two Ivy League games. The Crimson will take on Dartmouth this Saturday Oct. 29 at 12 p.m. in its final home game. Harvard travels to Columbia on Nov. 5 to conclude the 2005 campaign.

Field Hockey