So What Is It Anyway?

One common myth claims that L. Ron Hubbard started Scientology on a bet with Kurt Vonnegut. In fact, Hubbard established
By Annie M. Lowrey

One common myth claims that L. Ron Hubbard started Scientology on a bet with Kurt Vonnegut. In fact, Hubbard established Scientology in 1952 as an alternative to psychotherapy. The religion uses the techniques Hubbard describes in his 1950 book “Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health.” He later characterized the religion as an “applied religious philosophy.”

Though “Dianetics” is its most famous work, there’s not one central guide to Scientology. Instead, members read over 200 books by Hubbard, listen to thousands of hours of audiotape, and watch many DVDs and videos. (Scientologists believe in the infallible truth of Hubbard’s teachings, which are called “technology” or “tech.”)

The central tenets of the religion are that a person has an immortal and fundamentally good soul, called the thetan. The thetan survives the death of the body, traveling through multiple human lives. Scientologists also believe that a human possesses a thinking mind with “reactive” and “analytical” tendencies. The reactive mind performs behaviors irrationally and compulsively; the analytical mind is calm and controlled.

Reactive tendencies are stopped in the process of auditing, a non-evaluative therapy. The auditor uses an e-meter, a device Hubbard invented to measure tension, to help identify painful memories. Then a subject unburdens herself of bad decisions or events, thus ending neuroses and contributing to a feeling of well-being. Some Scientologists claim that after enough auditing they can remember all the way to their birth, and back further into their past lives.

As they go through auditing and take Scientology study courses, parishioners ascend levels on “the Bridge.” One of the most important levels is “clear,” when a person no longer acts reactively. Higher up, in the “Operating Thetan” levels, the Church keeps the names of the benchmarks confidential.

Churches offer courses to help improve everything from adherents’ attention spans to their marriages. The holistic religion stresses that its members learn for themselves–Hubbard described Scientology as a way of “knowing how to know.” The Church also administers several drug and criminal rehabilitation programs, charitable programs, and two publishing houses for Hubbard’s works.

But the religion has been dogged by criticism since its inception. The Church of Scientology’s vocal detractors have called it a cult of personality and a hucksterish pyramid scheme. Former members have accused the religion of harassment and extortion, in some cases filing legal suits. Some European countries, including Germany, do not recognize Scientology as a religion. And a 1980 “Reader’s Digest” article quotes Hubbard as saying, “If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.”