Happening 11/4 - 11/11

Friday, Nov. 4

Aberdeen City CD Release Party. The local mood-rock band is performing at TT The Bear’s Place to herald the release of their debut CD, The Freezing Atlantic, featuring the radio single “God is Going to Get Sick of Me.” Why Twist the Hair opens at 9:15 p.m. with The Plain Janes and the Bon Savants playing at 10:15 and 11:15. T.T. The Bear’s Place. 12:15 a.m. Tickets available through Ticketmaster or at the door, $9. (DFH)

Babaloo. Babaloo is releasing their latest CD, Babaloo International, with an 18+ alternative rock concert, partying, and dancing. Also featuring Pressure Cooker and Lady Enchantress. The Middle East Downstairs. 8 p.m. Tickets available at The Middle East box office or from Ticketmaster, (617) 931-2000, $15 general admission including free CD. (ABW)

Balafonist Neba Solo. Harvard’s African Initiative present the Mali-based musician and his troupe. Called “the genius of the balafon,” Souleymane Traoré, aka Neba Solo, plays his xylophone-like instrument. Loker Commons. 3 p.m. Tickets available at the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222. (LAM)

Harvard’s Next Top Angel. The Fallen Angels present a night of fun, fearless a cappella with the all-male Derbies of Brown University. Lowell Lecture Hall. 8 p.m. Tickets available at the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222, $8 general admission, $5 students. (LAM)

Sacred Music of Josquin and New Works from the British Isles. The Harvard-Radcliffe Collegium Musicum/Radcliffe Choral Society perform the classic harmonious works of composer Josquin along with more contemporary pieces. Sanders Theatre. 8 p.m. Tickets available at the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222, $18/14 general; $9/7 students/senior citizens. (LAM)

The Ying Quartet. The award-winning professional Ying Quartet mixes its violin and cello skills with the music of pianist Bob Levin. Paine Hall. 8 p.m. Tickets available at the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222, free with a limit of two tickets per person. (LAM)

Saturday, Nov. 5

Dins & LowKeys Concert. Check out the fall concert festivities at Keylime, where the two Harvard a capella groups will jam for the night. Sanders Theatre. 8 p.m. Tickets available at the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222, $12 general, $8 students. (LAM)

Brattle Street Chamber Players Concert. The 14-member string group performs “To My Grandfather,” an original commissioned work by Derrick Wang ’06 along with Villa-Lobos’ “Bachianas Brasileiras No. 9” and Tchaikovsky’s “Serenade for Strings.” Paine Hall. 8 p.m. Free. (MFK)

Ad Frank & the Fast Easy Women. Local indie pop group Ad Frank & The Fast Easy Women perform at 12:15am with Jupiter One (9:15), Westward Trail (10:15), and The Everyday Visuals (11:15) opening. T.T. The Bear’s Place. 12:15 a.m. Tickets available cash-only at the door or by phone, (617) 492-BEAR, $9. (DFH)

Constantines, The Hold Steady, and Thunderbirds Are Now. This trio of bands hits Cambridge with a mix of subpop and alternative rock. The Middle East Downstairs. 8 p.m. 18+. Tickets available at The Middle East box office or from Ticketmaster, (617) 931-2000, $12 general admission. (ABW)

Sunday, Nov. 6

Wyclef Jean and The Perceptionists. Ha ha. Just kidding. (BBC)

Hadyn: Mass in Time of War. Masterworks Chorale performs one of Hadyn’s powerful anthems led by guest conductor David Hodgkins. Sanders Theatre. 3 p.m. Tickets available at the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222, $39/28/18 with $3 discount for WGBH members, WCRB Classical Advantage, and groups of 10 or more. (LAM)

The Tiger Lillies and The Grindhouse Marionettes. The Tiger Lillies team up with The Grindhouse Marionettes in an alternative rock performance. Special guests Uncle Shoe and Barbara Michaels will be playing with Grindhouse Marionettes. The Middle East Downstairs. 8:00 p.m. 18+. Tickets available at The Middle East box office or from Ticketmaster, (617) 931-2000, $12 general admission. (ABW)

The Kingsbury Manx. Dream-rockers The Kingsbury Manx perform with Appletown Gun Shop (9:15) and The Standard (10:15) opening. T.T. The Bear’s Place. 11:15 p.m. Tickets available cash-only at the door or by phone, (617) 492-BEAR, $10. (DFH)

Monday, Nov. 7

Tom Vek. Vek performs his indie garage rock at T.T.’s with The Mobius Band (9:50) and Matters & Dunaway (9:00). T.T. The Bear’s Place. 10:45 p.m. Tickets available through Ticketmaster, cash-only at the door, or by phone, (617) 492-BEAR, $10. (DFH)

Tuesday, Nov. 8

The Misfits. As part of their fall tour, The Misfits promise a “terrifying” show full of hard rock and metal at the Middle East. Show will feature Jerry Only, Robo, and Dez Cadena, special guests TBA. The Middle East Downstairs. 8 p.m. 18+. Tickets available at The Middle East box office or from Ticketmaster, (617) 931-2000, $25 general admission. (ABW)

Pink Panic. Pink Panic performs at 11:30 with Abernathy (10:40), the Sky Pilots (9:50), and Boston Lonely (9:00). T.T. The Bear’s Place. 11:30 p.m. Tickets available cash-only at the door or by phone, (617) 492-BEAR, $9. (DFH)

Wednesday, Nov. 9

Harvard Glee Club With the Academic Male Voice Choir of Helsinki. The Harvard Glee Club (HGC) joins with the Academic Male Voice Choir of Helsinki, Finland as they complete their American tour. Sanders Theatre. 8 p.m. Tickets available at the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222, $14 general $7 students/senior citizens. (LAM)

Longwave, Giant Drag, Emergency Music, and The Auto Interiors. The Middle East promises an exciting alternative rock concert with Longwave, Giant Drag, Emergency Music, and The Auto Interiors. The Middle East Downstairs. 7:30 p.m. 18+. Tickets available at The Middle East box office or from Ticketmaster, (617) 931-2000, $12 general admission. (ABW)

Hail Social. Hail Social appears at T.T.’s with openers Firebird Band (10:40 p.m.), Jet By Day (9:50 p.m.), and Bad Jamie (9 p.m). T.T. The Bear’s Place. 11:30 p.m. Tickets available cash-only at the door, through Ticketmaster, or by phone, (617) 492-BEAR, $8. (DFH)

Thursday, Nov. 10

Midday Organ Recital. The Harvard Organ Society presents its weekly midday concert. Harry Huff, the assistant organist, performs in the stately setting of Memorial Church. Audience members are invited to bring a lunch for quiet consumption during the recitals. Adolphus Busch Hall. 12:15 p.m. Free. (LAM)

Neba Solo—The Music & Dance of Mali. Harvard’s African Expressive Culture Group present “the genius of the balafon,” Souleymane Traoré, aka Neba Solo, and group of ten African musicians and dancers. Sanders Theatre. 8 p.m. Tickets available at the Harvard Box Office, (617) 496-2222, with a limit of two free tickets per person. (LAM)

Digable Planets, Project Move, and the Eclectic Collective. Digable Planets, Project Move, and Eclectic Collective mix up rap, hip-hop, and jazz. Will present sets by DJ Special Blend. The Middle East Downstairs. 8 p.m. 18+. Tickets available at The Middle East box office or from Ticketmaster, (617) 931-2000, $23 in advance, $25 at the door. (ABW)

Okkervil River. The folk-indie band from Austin is performing at midnight along with Drew O’Doherty (9 p.m.), Charles Bissell of the Wrens (10 p.m.), and The Minus Story (11 p.m.). The New York Times praised Okkervil River’s newest album, Black Sheep Boy, as “marvelous…full of elegant phrases and unexpected images” and Pitchfork described the CD as “the most sustained and startling collection of songs yet, throughout which the band makes Sheff’s private madness starkly public.” T.T. The Bear’s Place. 12 a.m. Tickets available through Ticketmaster or at the door, $10. (DFH)

Ongoing Events

Degas at Harvard. Through Nov. 27. Uniting more than 70 of Degas’ paintings, sculptures, and drawings, the exhibit explores the reception of French Impressionism in 20th century America, while presenting some of Degas masterpieces in a new and innovative light. Arthur M. Sackler Museum. Free. (KAK)

The Century of Bach and Mozart: Perspectives on Historiography, Perspectives, Composition and Performance. Through Dec. 23. This joint exhibition features original sheet music from the pillars of classical music, as well as an original watercolor painting by Mozart of…an ear. Houghton and Loeb Music Libraries. Free. (KAK)

Paul Robeson as Othello. Through Jan. 13. As the first African-American actor to take the role of Othello in over a century, Paul Robeson won a twenty-minute standing ovation and made his 1943 Broadway show “the most important Shakespearean production of the century,” according to Frank Wilson, the curator of this exhibit, which features photographs and documents surrounding Robeson’s Othello. Pusey Library. Free. (LEB)

Silver and Shawls. Through Jan. 29. This exhibit highlights shawls and silver tableware produced in India during the late colonial period, focusing on the evolution of the former towards European styles and the latter towards more traditional Indian designs. Accompanied by a series of lectures and gallery talks by curators throughout the semester. Arthur M. Sackler Museum. Free. (KAK)

Stratification: An Installation of Works Since 1960. Through Feb. 26, 2006. Curatorial intern M. Celka Straughn organized this exhibit of German and Swiss painters and sculptors highlighting seven key pieces from the museum’s collection. Several undergraduates were also involved in the project and will be giving gallery talks. The Busch-Reisinger Museum. Free. (DJH & LRC)

Happening was compiled by Lois E. Beckett, Lindsay R. Canant, Ben B. Chung, Daniel J. Hemel, David F. Hill, Marianne F. Kaletzky, Kimberly A. Kicenuik, Lindsay A. Maizel, and April B. Wang.