Prof Defends His Alcohol Research

Ties to Busch prompt charges that Stampfer’s scholarship is biased

By Andrew E. Lai, Contributing Writer

A Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) professor faced criticism this week for making appearances at Anheuser-Busch events to discuss his research on the benefits of moderate alcohol consumption.

Meir J. Stampfer, the chair of HSPH’s department of epidemiology, attended two luncheons in New York and Chicago to discuss his studies, Francine I. Katz, vice president of communications and consumer affairs for Anheuser-Busch, wrote in a statement. The company paid for his travel expenses.

While Stampfer has not been personally compensated, the company has donated $150,000 to the HSPH, which is used for student scholarships, Katz wrote.

The Boston Herald reported on Tuesday that substance-abuse counselors objected to the message that Stampfer’s appearances were sending.

But Stampfer, who canceled another luncheon planned for yesterday in Boston, criticized the press coverage for focusing on him rather than on the issue of alcohol education.

“I have never discussed beer’s health benefits specifically, and do not propose to do so,” Stampfer said. “I have given lots of lectures at scientific meetings all over the world on the health effects of moderate alcohol consumption and have studied this for over 20 years.”

Stampfer said the idea of luncheons came when he met the CEO of Anheuser-Busch at a Patriots game a few years ago. He added that he plans to continue to work and speak on the effects of alcohol, but that he is uncertain whether he will continue with the luncheons.

Harvard University Health Services Director David S. Rosenthal ’59 said that he was not familiar with Stampfer’s studies, but he said he is concerned about the public association between the research and the alcohol industry.

“I think Anheuser-Busch has a very close relationship with public service, just like with the tobacco industry. I am very concerned with some of their messages,” Rosenthal said. “We should be making sure that we don’t have a conflict of interest with Anheuser-Busch.”

Stampfer said his research has shown that moderate alcohol consumption can lead to a substantial reduction in coronary heart disease, also citing findings by the American Cancer Society.

“There are dozens and dozens of studies showing that individuals with moderate levels of alcohol consumption have lower rates of heart disease and overall mortality compared with non-drinkers or with heavy drinkers,” Stampfer said.

He added that moderation should always be exercised in drinking alcohol, and that certain individuals, such as pregnant women, children, and those with medical complications, should not drink at all.

Ryan M. Travia, Harvard’s director of alcohol and substance abuse services, said that, while he could not comment on the details of Stampfer’s research, it sounded “fascinating.”

“I’m aware that for low-risk, low frequency, low-quantity [alcohol consumption], there are some positive benefits. Students become warm and relaxed, and begin to de-stress and mellow out a bit,” he said. “In my opinion, those are some positive benefits.” But students should remember protective factors to reduce the risk of negative consequences if they choose to drink, Travia added.

William P. Deringer ’06, the vice president of the Harvard Beer Society, said that he supported taking a “critical but open-minded academic approach to alcohol.”

“Alcohol is sort of a public-health issue, but I think that it’s one that needs to be considered from every angle...giving a multifaceted, balanced look at alcohol use,” Deringer said. “I think it’s what Harvard Beer Society is all about: it’s about fostering a sophisticated, responsible approach to beer.”