Majority Of Military Not Poor And Uneducated

By Peter H. Brooks

To the editors:

Samuel M. Simon writes in his column (“Solomon’s Other Song,” Dec. 12), “As most everybody knows, the people who fight America’s wars tend to come from America’s most disadvantaged groups.” It is unfortunate that a claim based upon what is perceived as common knowledge should be so wrong. A November study (“Who Bears the Burden” by the Center for Data Analysis) showed, in fact, that 45 percent of all new enlisted recruits, excluding officers who are generally from wealthier families, are from the wealthiest 40 percent. Only 35 percent of new recruits are from the poorest 40 percent and a disproportionately low 15 percent of America’s poorest 20 percent enlisted in 2003.

Yet, Simon’s comments and ignorance are not merely his own but are symptomatic of a larger bias that exists in this community and other elite academic institutions. It is this growing prejudice that has led to the massive growth of a military/non-military divide in America, one which threatens our military and our democracy. Irresponsible comments characterizing the military as poor and uneducated only further this divide.

Simon writes, “It would be ridiculous to join a military you don’t agree with because you think it needs more rich people.” He is right and not only because the military already has enough rich people. Harvard students should join the military because they are American citizens who must bear a proportionate sacrifice along with everyone else, rich or poor.

PETER H. BROOKS ’06

December 12, 2005

The writer is a member of the Marine Corps Reserve Officers’ Training Corps.