A Birthday Angel?

Sunday Brunch in pajamas fits well with first snow

By Ashish Agrawal

The first real snow of this winter was last Sunday, on my birthday, and if that had been the only thing special to happen to me all day, I would still have been thrilled. However, Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) must have decided that the arrival of a gorgeous winter wasn’t quite enough for that cozy Sunday morning; they also planned a phenomenal pajama-themed brunch.

The pajama-themed brunch wasn’t really “pajama” themed, as the “pajama” part is reflected more what the students wear rather than what the dining hall serves. Either way, HUDS did focus on the one thing that matters most: the food. All in the same brunch, HUDS seemed to add special touches to almost every regular breakfast item. The bagel and lox had flavored cream cheese; the omelets were made at a very prominent omelet bar where we could pick and choose our own ingredients; the waffles, now decorated with the ornate “Ve-ri-tas” crest, had special toppings; and the French toast had a special Bananas Foster sauce. To top it off, HUDS offered virgin mimosas and Bloody Marys—a staple for any successful pajama party.

Yet, though this themed brunch was such a resounding success, it is difficult to forget the sometimes-mediocre product produced by this same streamlined organization. Cooking for thousands of students at every meal with rare breaks is a difficult task, and one that is nearly impossible to accomplish perfectly. There have been days when I have found little appetizing in the dining hall. It is, however, a testament to HUDS that these days are rare, despite eating meal after meal here. Though some days are better than others, there is usually something decent and healthy at the salad bar, the grille, or the soup/sandwich corner to keep me studying and learning through the next day.

It is encouraging to note that, though HUDS has its inevitable below-average days, the people in the organization seem to be doing whatever it takes to improve. Constant feedback surveys sent out by HUDS attempt to pinpoint favorite foods and possibilities for new dishes. Feedback cards, present at every checker stand, are available to those who have a love-hate relationship with that new frozen-yogurt flavor. HUDS employees are constantly trying to educate us on proper eating habits, correct portion sizes, and striking a healthy balance. Most importantly, all the HUDS employees seem to genuinely care about Harvard students and what we eat. That kind of attention to current performance and possible improvement is a crucial part of a long-term success strategy for HUDS.

If there’s anything this Sunday brunch has shown us, it’s that with great planning, feedback from students, and commendable effort, HUDS can produce a meal of almost regal quality. Trying to expand the number of festive meals and special health focus events will help HUDS cater more to the tastes of the student population. In addition, incorporating some of the tweaks from our Sunday themed brunch into our regular brunch would be a fantastic—though perhaps expensive—proposition. Yet, for now, it’s important to appreciate the perfect orchestration between man and nature that will forever be known as the snowstorm pajama-themed brunch.

Ashish Agrawal ’08, a Crimson editorial editor, is a biochemical sciences concentrator in Eliot House.