Harvard skiing team struggles at University of Vermont carnival finishing 10th out of 11 teams

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard’s young Nordic and alpine skiing teams finished 10th in an 11-team field at the University of Vermont Carnival, held Friday and Saturday at the Trapp Family Lodge and Mt. Mansfield in Stowe, Vt.

The Crimson posted a combined tally of 109 points. Dartmouth finished first in four events and won the Carnival with a combined score of 684.5.

Sophomore captain Jennifer Harlow led Harvard in the women’s 5K classic, picking up 15 NCAA points with a 16th-place finish in 20:09.7. Harlow also finished 36th in the women’s 15K mass-start freestyle in 50:37.3. Freshman Charlotte Johnson finished 53rd in the 15K freestyle in 1:19:35 and 56th in the 5K XC in 31:12.6.

Freshman Oliver Burruss took 52nd in the men’s 20K mass-start freestyle with a time of 1:07:13. Freshmen Steve Amrock and Chris Nabel took 59th and 61st, respectively, with times of 1:21:13.2 and 1:27:49.3.

Junior Tom Gilmore did not finish the event.

Captain Russ Leino finished 55th in the men’s 10K XC in 42:30.7, and Burruss was seconds behind for 56th place. Amrock, Nabel and Gilmore wrapped up the pack, finishing 59th, 60th and 61st, respectively.

Sophomore co-captain Daniel Tsai led the men’s alpine team with a 20th-place finish in the men’s slalom, picking up 11 NCAA points with a combined time of 1:48.67.

The rest of the team didn’t fare as well, as freshmen Alex Levin and Matthew Basilico were disqualified in their second runs.

Basilico finished 31st in the men’s grand slalom with a combined time of 2:14.28. Levin finished 34th in 2:22.68, and Tsai did not finish in the event.

Sophomore Kathleen Connors led the women’s grand slalom with a 36th-place finish in a combined time of 2:39.28. Captain Molly Simmons followed her with a combined time of 2:44.21 for 37th-place.

Simmons closed out the women’s slalom with a 35th-place finish in a combined time of 2:54.43. Connors did not finish her second slalom run.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Skiing