The Harvard Crimson Proudly Announces its Editorial Columnists for the Fall Semester

By The Crimson Staff

is a psychology concentrator in Winthrop House, originally from Fayetteville, Georgia. He feels geriatric now that his entering class has graduated. In his first and final semester as a columnist, he will diagnose the social pathologies endemic at Harvard utilizing his eye for all things bizarre, telling and off-kilter (like mental disorders). Part sass, part class, his column “High Society” will appear on alternate Wednesdays.

Matthew A. Gline ’06

a physics concentrator in Quincy House, still thinks everyone should know what the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol can do for them. To that end, “Bits and Bytes,” his column on technology policy at Harvard and in the world at large, will continue to appear on alternate Mondays.

Brian M. Goldsmith ’05

a government concentrator in Lowell House, enjoys message discipline, fiscal responsibility, and long walks on the beach. “Politically Corrected” investigates the political and policy choices of public officials, and wonders: Is this the best we can do? Occasionally, he asks other questions. His column will appear on alternate Thursdays.

Phoebe Kosman ’05

a history and literature concentrator in Winthrop House, encourages you to appreciate the outré brilliance of School Spirits, appearing daily on the gallery. Kosman will explore other cultural phenomena in “By the Yard,” which will continue to run on alternate Mondays.

Sasha Post ’05

a social studies concentrator in Adams House, will walk the fine line between political hack and hopeless wonk in his column, “The Progressive.” Cheap shots and naïve idealism will be mixed accordingly. His column will appear on alternate Wednesdays.

Jared M. Seeger ’05

is a government concentrator in Pforzheimer House. Reminding us that no university is an island, he assumes the mantle of pop-cultural anthropologist to contextualize Harvard within its Cambridge/Boston surroundings. Since shipping in from New York, he’s acquired a taste for Sam Adams, local politics, and the Red Sox. His column, “Town and Gown,” will appear on alternate Thursdays.

Ilana J. Sichel ’05

is a literature concentrator in Dudley House. She makes yogurt for her roommates, rides a red bicycle and digs her community’s garden. She’ll be writing about cultural phenomena, including—but not limited to—the perks of marrying young. Not that she knows firsthand. Be sure to tune in to “The Rough Cut” on alternate Fridays.

Samuel M. Simon ’06

a social studies concentrator in Eliot House, hails from the Cambridge of the Southwest, Santa Fe, New Mexico. In his column, “Base Politics,” he will try to justify his life by making the peons of electoral politics seem important. His column will run on alternate Tuesdays.

Alex Slack ’06

is a history concentrator in Leverett House and an associate editorial chair of The Crimson. He may very well be the most unbiased man in media today, but his column probably won’t reflect it. “Smell the Newsprint” will take you on an olfactory thrill ride through today’s media circus to explore emerging trends in how the news is reported. Pick up the scent on alternate Fridays.

Eoghan W. Stafford ’06

is a social studies concentrator, a denizen of Leverett House, and a member of the editorial board. In a time of dizzying change in American politics, his column, “War of Ideas,” will try to make sense of post-Clinton, post-9/11, post-Bush-pretzel-incident America. Start the day right with “War of Ideas” and a hearty breakfast on alternate Tuesdays.

Brandon M. Terry ’05

is a government and African and African American studies concentrator affiliated with Lowell House and a former president of Harvard’s Black Men’s Forum. In his column, “On The Real,” he will try to explore issues of race, class, politics, pop culture and Harvard life as an excuse to be in the paper without organizing actual events. Please be warned that he does not speak for all black people, but only because he doesn’t look as good in sunglasses as Bill Cosby. His column will appear on alternate Mondays.

Alex Turnbull ’05

is an economics concentrator in Quincy House from Sydney, Australia, though he’s pretty comfortable in any Chinese city with more than a few million people. In his column, “Putting it Bluntly,” he plans to take his steak knife to some of the sacred cows on campus and to examine them in his own sharp and reductive way with a little bit of black humor on the way. His column will appear on alternate Mondays.