Baseball Nabs Two Wins in Minnesota

By Lande A. Spottswood, Crimson Staff Writer

The Metrodome Classic may have just hosted four soon-to-be conference champions.

Facing off against arguably the best teams from three different conferences—No. 19 Louisiana-Lafayette, St. John’s, and Minnesota—the Harvard baseball team held its own, going 2-1 to open its season in Minneapolis this weekend.

“It was nice to go out there and see what we have,” junior Frank Herrmann said. “When you’re playing indoors it can be tough to tell, but we went out there and showed that we can play with some good teams. I think they underestimated us a little bit going in.”

Harvard rebounded from a tough opening loss to ULL to sweep its final two games over defending Big-10 champ Minnesota and 2004 NCAA Tourney team St. John’s, an early favorite in the Big East.

HARVARD 9, MINNESOTA 1

On Saturday, the freshmen stole the spotlight. But on Sunday, the veterans snatched it back.

Led by a 5-for-5 performance from captain Schuyler Mann and six strong innings from Herrmann, the Crimson coasted to a 9-1 win over the host Golden Gophers (2-7) yesterday.

“We didn’t score much the first two games and our big hitters hadn’t been hitting,” Herrmann said. “But those guys, Sky and Lance [Salsgiver] and Zak [Farkes], they are such good hitters that I knew it was only a matter of time.”

The time came in the top of the second.

After Salsgiver reached on a fielder’s choice, Rob Wheeler—a Minneapolis native kicking off his senior season in his hometown—singled to put runners on the corners for Steffan Wilson. The freshman launched a ball into the gap in right center for a two-RBI triple.

That was all the offense Herrmann (1-0) would need. The right-hander—the only weekend starter from last season to get a start in the Metrodome Classic—pitched six scoreless innings, allowing only four hits while striking out five. He was relieved by junior Matt Brunnig, who allowed one run on two hits in three innings of work.

A pair of doubles by Mann and junior Josh Klimkiewicz gave Harvard a 3-0 lead in the third, and the Crimson pulled away in the fourth on an RBI single by Farkes followed by a two-RBI single by Mann.

Josh Oslin (0-2) took the loss for the Gophers.

HARVARD 3, ST. JOHN’S 2

Behind an impressive mound debut from freshman Shawn Haviland, Harvard squeaked past St. John’s 3-2 to pick up its first win of the season.

The righthander from Farmington, Conn., allowed two runs (only one earned) on two hits in 5 2/3 innings.

“I think he showed he’s going to be one of the top pitchers in the Ivy League after just his first start,” said senior Mike Morgalis, who earned the victory in relief of Haviland.

The Red Storm (6-6) scrapped together a pair of runs on a walk, a sacrifice bunt, a Crimson error, and a few wild pitches in the top of the sixth to break open a scoreless tie and take a 2-0 lead, but Harvard immediately answered. Freshman Matt Vance—who finished the game 3-for-3—singled to lead off the bottom of the inning, and a single by Farkes and a walk to Wilson loaded the bases. Then, with Mann at the plate, Red Storm starter Anthony Sullivan unleashed a wild pitch, scoring Vance and advancing the runners. Mann promptly drove a base hit up the middle to pick up two RBI and chase Sullivan (2-1) from the game.

St. John’s threatened in the ninth, when freshman relief pitcher Taylor Meehan issued two walks and hit a batter to load the bases with two outs. But Meehan got Greg Thomson to harmlessly ground out to first baseman Mike Dukovich to end the game.

Morgalis (1-0)—a weekend starter last season who is still recovering from strained ligaments in his left foot—relieved Haviland in the sixth and threw 1 2/3 innings to earn the win, allowing no hits, walking two, and hitting a batter.

“To be honest I felt real good,” Morgalis said. “One of the big plays in the inning that I was involved with was a bunt, and I was able to get to it, and make a play without any pain at all.”

NO. 19 ULL 14, HARVARD 2

The Ragin’ Cajuns snapped a two-game losing streak in style, racking up 21 hits on a combination of five Harvard pitchers to down the Crimson in its season opener, 14-2, on Friday.

The Crimson kept it close early—evening the score at 2-2 in the top of the third, but ULL (15-2) pulled away, scoring in every inning but one on its way to the big win.

Jered Salazar (2-0) filled in for the late scratch Buddy Glass and earned the victory, allowing two earned run on five hits in six innings. Thad Montgomery pitched three innings of scoreless relief.

Harvard’s only offensive production came in the third inning. With the Crimson trailing 2-0, Wheeler reached on a leadoff single, moved to second on a Morgan Brown groundout and to third on a wild pitch. Vance drove him in with an RBI single.

After Vance stole second base, Salsgiver knocked him in with a base hit to left field.

Starting pitcher Javier Castellanos (0-1) took the loss for the Crimson after allowing six runs on nine hits in 2 1/3 innings.

—Staff writer Lande A. Spottswood can be reached at spottsw@fas.harvard.edu.

Baseball