Kerry Speaks at IOP Luncheon

Former Democratic presidential candidate John F. Kerry spoke with visiting fellows and students at a private lunch at the Institute of Politics yesterday.

Sen. John F. Kerry, D-Mass., visited the Institute of Politics (IOP) for a closed meeting yesterday with students and IOP fellows.

While participants were barred from discussing the substance of Kerry’s remarks after the IOP issued a gag order last night, they said they appreciated the chance to have a dialogue with the former Democratic presidential candidate.

Members of the Harvard College Democrats, the Kennedy School of Government Democrats, and the IOP Student Advisory Committee were among those selected to participate in the event.

Two of the IOP’s spring fellows, Associated Press political writer Ron Fournier and U.S. News and World Report political editor Roger Simon, organized Kerry’s visit.

“When we were named fellows, we decided that we wanted to bring in the best possible guests in order to help students learn more about politics, and about covering politics,” Fournier said. “Having just come off his own presidential campaign, Senator Kerry knows more than almost anyone about political campaigns.”

He added that the process of bringing Kerry to Harvard was relatively easy, since Kerry was “eager” to participate.

Alexander I. Burns ’08, who attended the meeting, said he was impressed with Kerry’s performance.

“I was very pleasantly surprised with his active engagement with people,” Burns said. “He seemed much more sincere and energetic in person than on television or in front of large audiences.”

He added that he enjoyed the back-and-forth nature of the discussion, commenting that he thought a “productive dialogue” had taken place.

Fournier also praised Kerry’s interactions with the students.

“He seemed to really enjoy sharing thoughts with the students,” he said. “It was interesting the way he solicited advice from the students. He really wanted to hear the students’ opinions.”

The content of “special lunches” such as this is off the record by IOP policy, in order to encourage attendance and participation both by featured political figures and students.

Christoper L. Corcoran ’07, the chair of the IOP’s Study Groups Committee, instructed participants last night not to speak to the press about the content of the discussion.

In an e-mail entitled “Gag Order,” Corcoran wrote that “nothing about Senator Kerry’s responses, including either specific or topical matters, should be shared with the press.”

—MATTHEW S. BLUMENTHAL