NFL Takes HBS by Storm

Selling bowties and launching Christian lifestyle magazines might be a step up for used car salesmen, but professional athletes? From
By Alyssa N. Wolff

Selling bowties and launching Christian lifestyle magazines might be a step up for used car salesmen, but professional athletes? From Philadelphia Eagles leftback Dhani Jones’ budding bowtie company to former New England Patriots defensive back Je’rod Cherry’s vision for the world of magazine publishing, National Football League (NFL) players exercised their entrepreneurial smarts last week.

Thirty NFL athletes arrived on campus to take advantage of a new Harvard Business School program pulled together at several NFL players’ request.

The serious classroom atmosphere of the four-day program shocked players and professors alike. Todd Collins of the Kansas City Chiefs was in disbelief upon discovering a few of his teammates had stayed up until 2 a.m. discussing case studies. “I didn’t really expect that to happen,” said Collins. “We don’t have tests or anything.”

“I’ve seen too many guys have problems after their football career ends,” explained Ted Johnson of the Patriots. “Football isn’t a career—it’s a starting point.”

None of the participants are nearing retirement, but they’re keeping their options open. The program is so popular its waiting list is already 20 people long.

But despite their enthusiasm about business, football still wins out. “I’m not ready to give it up yet,” Cherry said. When that day does come, it’s good to know you’re HBS-trained.