Men take fifth and women sixth as track and field heads southwest for outdoor challenge at Rice

By The Crimson Staff

Over spring break, the Harvard track and field teams traveled down south for some valuable outdoor practice and competition to open the new season.

At the Bayou Classic—hosted by Rice University—the Crimson men took sixth with individual wins by junior Samyr Laine and junior Kevin Duffy. Overall, the team ended up with 48 points, not far from winner Texas’ 68.5 points.

Laine won the triple jump with a leap of 15.38 meters, while Duffy beat 16 opponents with a toss of 59.05 meters.

Other impressive efforts included that of senior Kristoffer Hinson, who took second in the shot put, and senior Alasdair McLean-Foreman, who took third in the 1,500 meter run. The Harvard women did one better than the men, taking fifth overall with 52 points. Rice won this side of the meet with 121.

The Crimson had two individual winners as well, though their two top-performances came on the track.

Freshman sensation Lindsey Scherf won the 10,000 meter run with a time of 33:20.25, while senior Rosalinda Castaneda won the 3,000 meter steeplechase in 11:06.58.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Track and Cross Country