Lawler Makes Magic in Pool, On Stage

By Sam Teller, Crimson Staff Writer

There is a lot going through athletes’ heads when the pressure is on. They may repeat words of self-encouragement, envision images of victory, or even wish curses upon their opponents. Most, however, are not imagining dialogue for a new hit musical.

That is, of course, except for Harvard swimmer James Lawler.

Though he kept his eye on Athens while training for the 2004 Olympics last year, Lawler emerged from the pool not only with impressive times, but with snappy new exchanges between characters like Mooney O’Tooley and Sweetie Connors.

O’Tooley and Connors are two protagonists in “Genie,” the musical Lawler wrote with Benjamin Scheuer ’04 last summer. This December, the production played to full houses in the Cabot Junior Common Room over a five-show run.

With a theatrical triumph under his belt, why not stick to the stage?

Well, it turns out that Lawler is pretty good at swimming, too.

The all-time Harvard record holder for both the 100- and 200-yard butterflies, Lawler placed eighth in the 100-meter fly at the 2004 U.S. Olympic Trials.

“The amazing thing about James Lawler is that whatever he wants to do he can do,” says Jackie Pangilinan, a freshman swimmer on the women’s team. “He just makes it happen.”

ROLE-ING WITH THE PUNCHES

“Genie” tells the story of O’Tooley, a freshman nerd in love with the affluent but bipolar Sweetie Connors. Distraught at his inability to woo her, he and his roommate Brock the Jock head to a bar, where in an inebriated stupor they meet Gia, a kind and soulful genie bent on helping O’Tooley win the girl of his dreams.

When La’Tarsha Long—cast as Genie Gia—realized just before the play’s opening that she would be unable to attend all the performances of “Genie” because of a conflict with another show, Lawler and Scheuer experienced a momentary casting crisis.

At Scheuer’s suggestion, Lawler briefly considered stepping in to fill the role.

But while he can swim and write with ease, singing is a little more problematic.

Although they quickly found a replacement Gia, Lawler’s dedication to the show was made evident by his willingness to play a singing black female genie—something he very clearly is not.

MIA: MUSICAL IN ACTION

Because of Lawler’s potent performances in the pool, most were disappointed to see his reduced role on the swimming team during the production of “Genie.”

“It’s not that he lost his thunder, but he just put everything into the play,” Pangilinan says.

Lawler readily acknowledges that fact.

“I just wasn’t quite as focused on swimming last semester,” he recounts. “I definitely wasn’t as committed as I had been in the past.”

Even so, team co-captain Andy Krna says that while Lawler’s physical presence waned, he never felt too far from the team.

“[The musical] took him away from the pool, but it wasn’t anything of consequence,” Krna says. “He’s always there for everybody on the team.”

And though Lawler’s post-“Genie” swimming performance hasn’t reached the astounding levels of his junior year—he placed significantly lower than usual in the 2005 NCAA meet—he is thankful that he decided to stick with the team.

“I’m so glad that I didn’t quit,” he says. “So glad.”

His fellow swimmers feel the same way, especially after Lawler’s contribution to the 2005 EISL champion Crimson.

“James is an inspiration to all of his teammates,” says freshman Pat Quinn, one of Lawler’s teammates. “He knows how to get the job done in and out of the pool.”

Lawler surely appreciates the many accolades, but he is ready to pass the torch on to younger members of the team, who he predicts “will clean up next year.”

THE SECRET SWIMMER

If anyone were ever poised to bridge the historical gap between jocks and drama kids, it seems that Lawler would be the man.

However, his success in said undertaking was limited.

Most of the swimmers showed up during the musical’s run to support their teammate.

“They came out in force to see my play,” Lawler says. “A bunch of them came back a second time.”

Did the actors in “Genie” start coming to his swim meets?

“Uh, no,” Lawler says. “But they should.”

Abraham Riesman, who played Larny Sumptius, the wacky university president only slightly inspired by Harvard’s own, offers an explanation for the lack of actor-athlete interaction.

“Theatre people aren’t supposed to mingle with the strong members of our species,” he jokes.

But Brock the Jock, O’Tooley’s flamboyant football-playing roommate, demonstrated Lawler’s ability to poke fun at athletes. Luckily, the droll portrayal of a sportsman didn’t reduce the team’s enjoyment of the show.

“We all saw his play and it was hilarious,” says Quinn.

While his fellow swimmers knew about his dramatic endeavors, the musical’s cast and crew claim to have been in the dark about their playwright’s aquatic talents.

“Near the end of the rehearsal process, he mentioned that his ‘team’ was coming to the show, and that his ‘coach’ was really excited,” says Riesman. “The vast majority of the cast didn’t have the slightest clue that he was a swimmer.”

BEHIND THE MUSICAL

While Lawler had been interested in screenwriting for some time, musical theatre didn’t cross his mind until last year.

During his time off, Lawler saw some Broadway musicals—his favorites include Fiddler on the Roof, Hairspray, and Into the Woods—and was inspired to try his hand at penning one of his own.

“I wanted to write a musical,” he says. “I thought it would be fun.”

And so Lawler began “Genie” during his training for the Olympic trials.

“I came up with a lot of the lines for the show while I was swimming,” he says.

After the meet, Lawler would not go to Athens, but he returned to Harvard ready to nurture the script that would soon become “Genie.”

Lawler and Scheuer were brought together by way of the Cabot open email list, when Lawler posted a message seeking a musical collaborator.

Though Scheuer responded cautiously, unsure of what he’d be getting himself into, the pair gelled immediately upon meeting.

“James is a force of nature,” Scheuer says. “He controls the air in the room, and as far as I can tell from watching him swim, he controls the water.”

Lawler is quick to return the praise, less effusively but with equal sincerity.

”We’ve gotten on really well, Ben and me,” Lawler says.

As for working with an athlete, Scheuer declares he wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I’m glad he’s a good swimmer,” Scheuer says. “There’s nothing worse than writing a musical with somebody non-aquatic.”

Considering the success of “Genie,” it seems like Scheuer has a point.

Men's Swimming