So long chocolate chip.
So long chocolate chip.

R.I.P. Chocolate Chip

Frozen desserts will never be the same again. About a month ago, Ben & Jerry’s broke devastating news to ice
By Elizabeth H. Hunter

Frozen desserts will never be the same again.

About a month ago, Ben & Jerry’s broke devastating news to ice cream lovers everywhere. The franchise’s chocolate chip ice cream, favorite of grandmothers and college students alike, has kicked the bucket.

“It’s the same story every year. There is limited space in the shops, and new flavors are introduced each year, so some flavors have to go to the flavor graveyard,” explains Lee L. Holden, a public relations rep for Ben & Jerry’s.

Holden says the flavor’s departure was a long time coming. Other flavors recently put out to pasture include Ben & Jerry’s ill-fated low-carb line “Carb Karma.”

“If you come to Ben & Jerry’s, you’re not going to watch your carbs,” says Joe Magnant, a scooper at the Ben & Jerry’s in the Garage.

Chocolate chip ice cream addicts may choose to seek “Chocolate Therapy” instead—a mix of chocolate ice cream, pudding, and cookies which is replacing the simpler flavor of yesteryear. B&J’s claims that it will provide therapy for any “discombobulated state” into which it may have inadvertently thown consumers.

Though the Ben & Jerry’s in Harvard Square has previously dealt with customers angry over the cancellation of flavors such as Bovinity Divinity and One Sweet Whirled, scoopers say they have encountered only a few Harvard students missing chocolate chip scoops this year. “Maybe I’d be more upset if I didn’t have to spend a fraction of my college tuition to pay for it,” says Matthew R. Schindel ’08.

Ben and Jerry declined to comment on their loss.