Beloved Ec10 TF To Depart

By Lulu Zhou, Crimson Staff Writer

“Marty” won’t be the only familiar face missing from the largest, and perhaps most legendary class, the college has to offer.

After six years as teaching fellow (TF) in Social Analysis 10, “Principles of Economics”, Bruce D. Watson will not be re-appointed next year. He has reached the limit on the number of years that a TF or non-tenured professor can teach at Harvard according to official Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) policy. Watson, who is also a resident tutor in Lowell House, will also not be reappointed as a residential tutor as a result, he wrote in an e-mail.

But faculty and students alike are unwilling to get out of the market for his teaching.

“I think Bruce Watson is a great teacher. That has been clear year after year. But [FAS] has a rule that limits the number of years someone can teach unless they are a tenured professor. I wish it were otherwise,” Baker Professor of Economics Martin S. Feldstein ’61, now the former head of Ec 10, wrote in an e-mail.

Watson’s history with the course could prove useful as it is handed over to Freed Professor of Economics N. Gregory Mankiw next year.

“If the university could show some flexibility and allow Bruce to continue as an Ec 10 section leader, that would be a great outcome from my perspective,” Mankiw wrote in an e-mail.

According to Watson, both Feldstein and Mankiw have contacted the FAS Dean’s Office on his behalf, but have not been able to win an exception. “I am profoundly grateful to Marty and Greg for all their help on this matter,” Watson wrote.

Over the years, Watson has stepped up to fill in key teaching positions, like head section leader of Ec 10 last spring and lecturer in Economics 1010a, “Microeconomic Theory,” in 2002 after Lecturer on Economics Robert H. Neugeboren ’83 was temporarily replaced due to student complaints.

Students have repeatedly recognized Watson’s capabilities as a TF, nominating him to win the Levenson Teaching Prize in 2001. He has also received special mention in the CUE guide every year he has been a TF for Ec 10, and his review sessions are always packed.

“There are few other courses which allow a TF to do as much teaching as Ec10,” Watson wrote. “Teaching basic economics to several cohorts of Harvard undergrads has been a rare privilege.”

Next year, Watson will lend his abilities to the Extension School, but said he has enjoyed teaching at the College. “My years teaching at Harvard, and being a resident tutor, have been the best of my life,” he wrote. “Harvard students are WONDERFUL! Their passionate curiosity, enthusiasm, and joy in learning and in life have been a constant delight to me.”

He added that while he is looking forward to his role at the Extension School, he will miss the students he has had for the past

“There is just no substitute for teaching Harvard undergrads!” he wrote.

And he has delighted students in return.

“He is an amazing teacher in so many different ways,” said Carolina Lescano ’08, who is in one of Watson’s Ec 10 sections. “His enthusiasm for his students, his love for teaching…it would be such a loss for everyone if he was forced to go.”

Lescano is also a member of a new Facebook group, “Students For Bruce,” comprised of those he has taught or tutored.

Even Lowellians who have not known Watson in the classroom, like Ryan M. Donovan ’07, are joining the cause. Donovan said he has often heard section with Watson described as “an extraordinary experience.”

“You don’t often hear ‘extraordinary experience’ in regards to an economics section,” Donovan said.

Donovan had even been looking forward to taking Ec 10 next fall, but has begun to reconsider. “I honestly don’t know if I’ll take it if Bruce is not in it,” he said of Watson.

Even those enrolled in Ec 10 this past year sought after Watson.

“Everyone [in Ec 10] is jealous of his section,” Lescano said. “They always perform the best.”

Henry Cheng-Yu Lin ’06, a lucky Watsonite, wrote a letter to University President Lawrence H. Summers and Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby, asking for an exception to the FAS policy.

“Since Harvard is determined to pursue and foster academic excellence, Bruce’s contribution to students’ understanding of economics cannot be exaggerated,” Lin wrote.

Kirby could not be reached for comment last night.

Lin also circulated a petition asking the University to allow Watson to remain an Ec 10 TF.

“Hopefully the petition will show how much students support him,” said Lescano, one of the signatories.

Student efforts have yet to soften the administration.

“I know he’s an extremely good teacher…but there is no way we can re-appoint him,” said Ropes Professor of Political Economy and Chair of the Economics Department Alberto F. Alesina. “Rules are rules.”

Students are frustrated by this rigidity. “I have no idea why the rule is in place,” Lescano said. “There are so many awful TFs at Harvard that when you come across a really amazing one, it’s stupid to force them to leave.”

—Daniel J. Hemel contributed to the reporting of ths story.

—Staff writer Lulu Zhou can be reached at luluzhou@fas.harvard.edu.