Dean ‘Venky’ To Step Down From Post

By May Habib, Crimson Staff Writer

Armstrong Professor of Engineering and Applied Sciences Venkatesh “Venky” Narayanamurti announced on Tuesday that he will step down as dean of the Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences (DEAS) and dean of the physical sciences in June 2006, surprising some fellow faculty members.

Venky said that returning to teaching and research marks “natural evolution” in his career.

“I always thought that in my position, seven to 10 years is a good time,” Venky said on Tuesday after a meeting of DEAS faculty, which Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby attended. “Given my age, I thought I had gotten the Division to a good place.”

Venky, who is 66, was appointed dean of DEAS in 1998 and dean of the physical sciences in Sept. 2003.

Venky said that he began thinking about stepping down as dean almost eight months ago. When he informed Kirby, University President Lawrence H. Summers, and University Provost Steven E. Hyman, all tried to dissuade him, he said.

“I put it on hold because the University was in such turmoil,” said Venky, emphasizing that his decision had nothing to do with the events of the past few months.

Venky’s announcement marks the third high-level resignation this semester. Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Peter T. Ellison announced in February that he will step down at the end of this academic year, and dean of the Graduate School of Education Ellen C. Lagemann announced in March that she will also step down in this month.

In a statement, Kirby thanked Venky for his “energetic and effective service.”

“Beyond all this, he has been a wise and valued counselor to me on all matters of importance to our faculty,” Kirby said.

Summers also released a statement thanking Venky for helping to expand engineering.

According to the statement released by FAS, a search for a new dean will begin early this summer.

“There’s no question [Kirby] will conduct a broad search inside and outside the University,” said Venky, who will take a one-year sabbatical after he steps down.

“I wanted to give him plenty of time to find a successor.”

E-MAIL SURPRISE

Venky informed faculty and staff about his decision to step down in an e-mail early Tuesday morning. DEAS faculty met with Venky later in the day during a regularly scheduled faculty meeting, which ended with loud and resounding applause.

“They were in shock about what will happen next because I think that they really like me as dean,” Venky said. “There’s a sense of happiness for me, but it’s worrisome for them.”

“It was unexpected,” said Frederick H. Abernathy, McKay professor of mechanical engineering, after the faculty meeting. “No one who I know will be happy that he is leaving. His interpersonal skills are incomparable at Harvard.”

Wang Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Roger W. Brockett said that, although people were surprised by the announcement, he sees the reasons for Venky’s choice.

“I perfectly well understand why he would want to step down given all the responsiblities he had,” Brockett said. “It was a very big job.”

Ever since he was appointed as the dean of DEAS in 1998, Venky’s stated priorities for the division have been expanding its faculty and student enrollment to make engineering at Harvard more competitive with that of other schools. According to Venky, 16 senior faculty appointments have been made in DEAS during his time as dean.

The number of graduate students went from 72 per class in 1998 to 150 per class today, with graduate applications more than tripling over the same period, according to FAS spokesperson Stephen Bradt.

Venky, who currently oversees seven graduate students, said that he is looking forward to going back to

teaching, which he calls the “best job at a university.”

Venky said he will also help develop new engineering courses for non-concentrators in the College in order to “make engineering and technology more of a Harvard College experience.”

“I’m at peace with myself,” he said. “I love Harvard and I love the Division. I’m very happy with what I’ve done.”

—Staff writer May Habib can be reached at habib@fas.harvard.edu.