Fitzpatrick Signs Deal With Rams

Former Crimson captain will compete with three others to back up Marc Bulger

Former Harvard quarterback and captain Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05 steps back to pass in Harvard’s 34-24 win over Cornell at Harvard Stadium, Oct. 9, 2004. Fitzpatrick was signed by the St. Louis Rams to a three-year deal on Tuesday.
By Lisa Kennelly, Crimson Staff Writer

Monday morning, the congratulations started pouring in as the news of Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05’s signing hit the internet. The former Harvard quarterback and seventh-round draft pick was peppered with phone calls and e-mails from friends who had seen reports that he had inked a three-year contract with the St. Louis Rams.

Fitzpatrick was appreciative, but bewildered—though his agent had “pretty much agreed” upon a deal with the Rams, he hadn’t actually signed anything yet. His first inkling of his supposed “signing” was when a former Harvard teammate called him Monday morning.

“[Punter] Adam Kingston [’04] called and said ‘Congratulations on signing!’ and I’m like, ‘I didn’t sign...’” Fitzpatrick said, laughing. “I thought it was the funniest thing.”

As of Tuesday, though, the news was official: Fitzpatrick has signed a contract with the Rams. Details of the deal were not released, but he is expected to receive the league minimum, plus a signing bonus. According to NFL sources, signing bonuses for seventh-round picks average $25,000 to $30,000.

Fitzpatrick is the fourth of 11 Ram draftees to agree to terms or sign, following fourth-rounders Jerome Carter and Claude Terrell and fellow seventh-rounder Madison Hedgecock.

“It’s a three-year contract,” confirmed Fitzpatrick’s agent Kyle Rote, Jr. “It doesn’t look like they’re bringing in another quarterback. They’re pleased with him.”

Marc Bulger is currently the St. Louis starter, and Fitzpatrick will be competing with veteran Jamie Martin and second-year player Jeff Smoker for a spot on the roster once training camp begins July 28. If he fails to make one of the two roster slots, he could play on the practice squad.

“A lot of that is out of my control,” Fitzpatrick said. “I have to take advantage of the reps I’m getting out of training camp.”

Fitzpatrick, who was voted the unanimous Ivy League Player of the Year in 2004 after leading the Crimson to a 10-0 record and a league title, has already drawn raves from St. Louis coach Mike Martz for his intelligence and willingness to learn.

“I got a great opportunity early, the first mini-camp, to get to learn from [Martz],” Fitzpatrick said, “to show him how coachable I was, that was I ready and willing to learn. I learned a tremendous amount from him already.”

Fitzpatrick has already settled into life in St. Louis, where he moved after graduation with his girlfriend, former women’s soccer captain Liza Barber ’05. They have bought a house, a car, and furniture, and have been involved in service projects organized by the Rams.

He has also managed to endure constant teasing for his Harvard origins.

“It’s been steady ever since the combine,” Fitzpatrick said. “But at least with the rookie guys, they’re starting to get to know me [by] more than just the Harvard label.”

The confirmation of a contract eases some of the pressure on the first Ivy quarterback to be drafted since 1984. But as a first-year player, Fitzpatrick knows he still has a lot to catch up on before the season starts.

“I’m studying a lot,” he said. “It’s more mental preparation than I’ve ever done before. It’s the hardest class I’ve ever taken.”

“He’s not taking any time off this summer,” Rote said. “Usually there’s a four-to-five year training period for young quarterbacks. But he knows the reality, with injuries, you don’t have the luxury to get ready. The coach is going to want him ready today. He’s on a hyper-adjustment path.”

—Staff writer Lisa J. Kennelly can be reached at kennell@fas.harvard.edu.

Football