Violent Arrest Made in Quincy

By Sam Teller, Crimson Staff Writer

Police officers arrested two men suspected of shoplifting yesterday after one of the men led detectives on a prolonged and violent chase through the streets of Cambridge and the courtyard of Quincy House.

At approximately 2 p.m. yesterday, the Cambridge Police Department (CPD) issued a radio alert describing two men suspected of shoplifting from the Urban Outfitters store in Harvard Square.

Two Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) detectives were conducting a routine patrol of the Harvard Square area on Linden Street in an unmarked vehicle.

At the very moment the detectives heard the broadcast, they spotted two men walking down Linden Street who fit the description of the suspects.

The officers parked, approached the men, and identified themselves as officers, at which point the men sprinted in opposite directions.

A detective followed the first suspect, whom CPD later identified as Anthony Ryan, 41, up Linden Street onto Mass. Ave., where Ryan very soon after complied with the officer’s instructions and turned himself in.

However, the second suspect, identified as Emilio Rosa, 38, of Jamaica Plain, proved to be more violent and elusive than his alleged partner-in-crime.

Rosa ran down Linden Street and crossed Mt. Auburn Street, until a detective caught up with him in front of Rosovsky Hall, which houses Harvard Hillel.

As the detective repeatedly ordered Rosa to surrender, Rosa began to strike the detective in the area of his neck and chest.

After a struggle, Rosa escaped and continued his flight down Plympton Street and into the Quincy House courtyard. He attempted to find an exit across the courtyard, but was stymied by the locked gate.

The detective, following in close pursuit, accosted Rosa a second time, and another violent encounter occured.

This time, however, the detective successfully subdued and handcuffed Rosa. HUPD transferred custody of the suspect to CPD officers, who booked Rosa and Ryan at the CPD station.

A CPD spokesman said that in the past Rosa has used the alias Emilio Diaz.

HUPD spokesman Steven G. Catalano said that while the officer chasing Rosa sustained light injuries, no one else was involved or hurt.

“At no time was any Harvard affiliate in danger,” said Catalano. “The detectives received some scrapes, bruises, and a ripped shirt, but no serious injuries.”

According to the CPD spokesman, Rosa will be charged with larceny over $250, assault and battery of a police officer, and resisting arrest.

Ryan will just be charged with larceny over $250.

—Staff writer Sam Teller can be reached at steller@fas.harvard.edu.