Field Hockey Records Three Shutouts

By Pablo S. Torre, Crimson Staff Writer

With major questions surrounding the identity of its goalie, the 2005 edition of the Harvard field hockey team kicked off the season as if it had the answers all along.

The Crimson (3-0, 1-0 Ivy)—and freshman netminder Kelly Knoche—shut out UMass, New Hampshire, and Penn, in order, to begin its campaign for a second straight Ivy League title.

While Harvard controlled the play in each of its first two contests, the Quakers provided a much stiffer test. The Crimson finally broke through with under 10 minutes to play, preserving its unbeaten record early in the season.

HARVARD 1, PENN 0

With nothing but zeros on the scoreboard, Harvard coach Sue Caples got the chance to call upon her sophomore assassin to finally put the nail in the coffin.

Tamara Sobek-Rosnick, the Crimson’s penalty-stroke specialist, got off the bench and laced the game-winner at 60:01, downing Penn (2-2, 0-1 Ivy) in a defensive struggle on Saturday afternoon.

Last year, Harvard had tied the Quakers for the Ancient Eight crown but advanced to the NCAA Tournament thanks to a win over Penn in the opening game of league play.

This season, ceteris paribus, Sobek-Rosnick ensured that the Crimson would have that advantage once again.

“[Tamara’s] our designated stroke-taker,” said junior back Jennifer DeAngelis, who drew the foul on a penalty corner. “Basically, it’s a guaranteed goal every time she gets in. She’s really good at handling the pressure.”

For Sobek-Rosnick, the top-shelf laser was the third goal in her career. Her two previous tallies are, unsurprisingly, both penalty strokes as well, coming in similar fashion against Providence and UMass in 2004.

For Harvard, it was also the defense’s third sparkling effort in a row.

The Crimson backfield maintained its scoreless streak by holding off a penetrating Quaker attack through the waning minutes of the game. Harvard graduated its starting goalie in Aliaa Remtilla and primary back-up in Anne Haig, making the efforts all the more impressive.

“The defense was moving the ball really well,” junior forward Julie Lane said. “They were very strong, and Penn just wasn’t able to get by them.”

Knoche, the precocious frosh, recorded her third straight shutout to begin her young collegiate career. She needed just two saves to pull off the feat, thanks to a strong defensive performance.

“She is becoming a real leader in the backfield,” DeAngelis said. “She’s stepped in and hasn’t been fazed by being a freshman and has become pretty solid part of our team.”

HARVARD 3, UNH 0

Senior Beverlie Ting made the first two goals of her collegiate career count.

Ting and sophomore Devon Shapiro combined for the only offense Harvard needed as Knoche and the Crimson defense blanked UNH (2-3) by a score of 3-0 at Jordan Field.

At 14:08, Ting drew first blood by deflecting a pass from captain midfielder Jen McDavitt, and then converted a dime from freshman midfielder Tami Jafar at 15:48.

McDavitt and senior midfielder Jane Sackovich then assisted Shapiro, who beat Wildcats goalie Margaux Shute to her left at 24:47.

HARVARD 2, UMASS 0

After nothing but defense for the first hour of Harvard’s season opener, McDavitt and Lane turned in two scores amid a second-half offensive outburst, beating UMass (0-4) 2-0.

McDavitt’s third shot was the charm as she banged in a rebound past Minutemen netminder Becky LeTourneau at 60:03. Soon after, Lane followed by driving to the net alone, besting LeTourneau at 61:20.

“We’ve been working hard in preseason and we’ve managed to put it together,” Lane said.

The Crimson ultimately took an astonishing 14 shots on goal after the intermission to finish the contest with a 16-4 edge and a 7-1 advantage in penalty corners.

Knoche’s first collegiate start, notably, was a shutout.

—Staff writer J. Patrick Coyne contributed to the reporting of this story. —Staff writer Pablo S. Torre can be reached at torre@fas.harvard.edu.

Field Hockey