Zambian President Addresses Students

Mwanawasa discusses

Levy P. Mwanawasa, President of Zambia, speaks to a packed crowd in a swealtering Kirkland Junior Common Room. He sat next to his wife after his speech and fielded questions from students.
By Nicole B. Urken, Crimson Staff Writer

The president of Zambia, Levy P. Mwanawasa, emphasized his country’s need for foreign aid in a speech before about 650 students who crammed into the Kirkland House Junior Common Room last night.

This was the first formal visit of a head of state to one of the Harvard Houses, according to Kirkland Scholar in Residence Peter Emerson, the organizer of the “Conversations with Kirkland” speaker series.

During his speech, “Africa and Zambia: The Challenges for the Next Decade,” Mwanawasa touched upon issues including gender equality, HIV/AIDS, and education.

Mwanawasa, who took office in January 2002, said that he hoped to highlight the efforts that his government has made to improve the standard of life in Zambia and to reduce corruption.

“My hope is that from this address you will identify with us in the efforts and challenges that we face and hence become our advocates in galvanizing international support in improving the welfare of our people and in making our country a worthy member of the international community,” Mwanawasa said.

He stressed the need to ensure empowerment of Zambians in business, promote industrial development in rural areas, and benefit from the nation’s comparative advantage.

Mwanawasa promoted his country as “ripe and open” for foreign investment.

In response to a student’s question about whether Western countries had a moral obligation to offer assistance to Africa, Mwanawasa said he supported the recent decision of the Group of Eight industrialized nations to forgive Zambian debt.

Mwanawasa maintained an informal and friendly style throughout the evening, drawing laughter at the beginning when he requested to take his jacket off to be more comfortable in the overheated room.

Parts of the question-and-answer period became more emotionally charged when students from Africa expressed discontent with the current state of affairs in the continent. One student from Zimbabwe voiced frustration with the suffering individuals had to endure while waiting for diplomatic solutions to conflicts.

Mwanawasa’s visit was co-sponsored by the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs’ Jodidi Lecture Series.

In an interview with The Crimson afterward, Mwanawasa expressed his support for Zambians to travel abroad for study but said it is crucial for the well-being of the country that they eventually return to Zambia.

Emerson said more students attended Mwanawasa’s speech than any of the previous “Conversations with Kirkland” events, including the visits from the Democratic presidential candidates in the fall of 2003.

“I thought tonight’s turnout was irrefutable evidence that students from all walks of life and nationalities care about Africa. It really is a great help that future leaders are concerned about Africa,” Emerson said.

Later this academic year, The Kirkland speaker series is expecting to host other high-profile guests including Sen. Richard G. Lugar, R-Ind., MSNBC commentator Joe Scarborough, and NBC News anchor Brian Williams.

—Staff writer Nicole B. Urken can be reached at urken@fas.harvard.edu.