IN LEHMAN'S TERMS: Despite ‘Munich,’ Olympics Provide Lift to Spirits

By Jonathan Lehman, Crimson Staff Writer

I saw “Munich” over vacation.

Of course I did. Around Christmastime, when the annoying jangle of holiday music is nearly inescapable and the goyim are busy decorating aromatic foliage, I’m camped out in the local movie theater. Plus, it was a Spielberg film. His movies, aside from the ones that suck, are always good. And it was about Israel, a personal favorite subject, and killing terrorists, another sweet topic.

The story, as you probably know, revolves around the brutal massacre of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympic Games in the titular city. The rest is an intriguing study of the psychological toll of counter-terrorism, its cycles of violence and ethical implications. In other words, the Olympics as the backdrop for a discussion of the seediness of global politics and a depiction of man at his murderous worst.

Pretty grim stuff. So given the cultural pervasiveness of the film and the limited amount of brain space the majority of us reserve for contemplation of the Games, the association with the Olympics most people carried away from this holiday season was likely a sad and gory one.

Which is a shame. Because it overshadows the true, uplifting spirit of the event and the unifying currents of brotherhood, tolerance, and opportunity that underlie it. And it obscured a pair of recent Olympics-related announcements with resonance in the Harvard community.

Those were the unveilings of the final rosters for the Canadian and American women’s ice hockey squads slated to compete at the Winter Games in Turin, Italy in February, lists which include an impressive six Harvard affiliates. The Canadians will travel to the Alps with two-time Patty Kazmaier Award winner Jennifer Botterill ’02-’03 and last year’s ECAC Rookie of the Year Sarah Vaillancourt on the team.

The United States, meanwhile, and its head coach Ben Smith, added four past and current Crimson skaters to its 20-man roster. Chief among them is Angela Ruggiero ’02-’04, to women’s hockey what Spielberg is to Hollywood—a spokesperson, a leader, and an expert practitioner. Standout Julie Chu is back for her second Olympic tournament and solid blue-liner Jamie Hagerman ’03 also made the cut. The most surprising inclusion, however, was of Maine native Caitlin Cahow, whose rapid rise up through the ranks of the national program will now culminate in representing her country against the world’s best on the biggest stage in sports next month.

A forward in her rookie season for the Crimson in 2004, Cahow switched to defense last year with great success. After ranking third nationally in defenseman scoring and placing on the All-Tournament team at the Frozen Four in her sophomore campaign, Cahow earned an invite to the Team USA National Festival this summer and from there a spot on the squad that conducted a pre-Olympic tour this fall.

Then, on Dec. 27 at the Mall of America in hockey-mad Minnesota, Cahow received final confirmation that she would don the red, white, and blue and go for gold in Turin.

And all this happening to a young woman just 20 years of age.

When Cahow returns to campus next fall, she’ll join my graduating class—the class of 2008.

But first, she will take a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy.

She will march into the arena for the Opening Ceremonies with over 2,000 athletes from 85 countries with millions upon millions watching on television in every corner of the globe and every nation on Earth.

She will face the very best competition her sport has to offer as the Americans seek to reclaim the top spot on the medal stand from Canada.

And above all, she will embody the essence of the Games: an amateur athlete cooperating and participating among her international peers, striving to fulfill the Olympic motto and ideal of “swifter, higher, stronger.”

As we embark upon this New Year, there are many easy opportunities for pessimism and skepticism.

The situation in Israel, with the impending passing of Primer Minister Ariel Sharon, may get worse before it gets better.

There are wars raging, diseases spreading, and oppressive regimes enduring.

In Turin, attendance will be lackluster, some skier will be caught doping, and possibly another round of judging will be exposed as corrupt.

But let us enter 2006 with hope and optimism, instead of succumbing to their tempting counterparts, doubt and cynicism.

Because, as the Olympics remind us, for every Hitler, there is a Jesse Owens.

For every deranged lunatic detonating a bomb in Atlanta, there is a Muhammad Ali gamely lifting a torch to light the symbolic flame.

And for every Black September, there’s a Caitlin Cahow, promising a bright February.

—Staff writer Jonathan Lehman can be reached at jlehman@fas.harvard.edu

Women's Ice Hockey