NOTEBOOK: Pizzotti Plays, Holds Up Well

Junior quarterback returns from injury earlier than expected and earns win

With the ground game getting caught up in the tough Lehigh defensive line, the Crimson decided to work in more trick plays, including a pass off of a reverse by sophomore Chris Sanders.
By Brad Hinshelwood, Crimson Staff Writer

Junior quarterback Chris Pizzotti made a surprise start Saturday, returning a week earlier than the most optimistic expectations for his recovery from the hyperextended knee that he suffered in a season-opening win against Holy Cross.

Pizzotti practiced on Thursday for the first time since the injury and replaced junior Richard Irvin, who had been expected to make his second career start at Harvard.

“I wasn’t really nervous coming in about my knee,” Pizzotti said. “I think once I took the first hit, I felt it a little in my knee, but it woke me up a little bit, and it felt good.”

Pizzotti showed few signs of rust, playing the entire game, scrambling effectively, and completing 15-of-29 passes for 291 yards and his first career touchdown.

“I was thankful to Coach Murphy that he actually gave me a shot after just practicing one day this week,” Pizzotti said.

“I really thought the leadership and the poise that Chris displayed, when you consider that he hadn’t had one real practice in two weeks, was pretty amazing,” Murphy added.

Pizzotti did throw one interception, a fourth-quarter pick that gave Lehigh the ball at the Harvard 47-yard line. But a holding penalty and a sack forced Lehigh to punt, preventing any damage.

NOT A THREATT WITH HIS FEET

Lehigh quarterback Sedale Threatt came into the game tied for the team lead in rushes, and the Mountain Hawks have always been known for a strong running game. But Threatt was effectively shut down for a large part of the game Saturday, gaining just 16 yards on five carries.

“Our athleticism on the flank definitely helped corral him a little bit,” Murphy said, pointing to a quick defensive line. “What they did is they threw the ball much better than they had in previous games.”

Murphy was referring to Threatt’s success throwing the ball early in the game. Threatt was 3-for-3 for 81 yards, including a 62-yard touchdown toss. He finished the game 19-for-30 for 293 yards, but was sacked seven times for a total loss of 56 yards.

TRICK OR TREAT

Both teams used trick plays early and often Saturday, and often to great effect. Harvard’s pivotal second-quarter drive that closed a 17-point deficit to just three was keyed by a pair of trick plays. A fake punt was snapped to sophomore defensive tackle and punt formation upback Matt Curtis, who ran eight yards for a first down on fourth-and-four. That play set Harvard up for a 32-yard reverse pass from sophomore wideout Chris Sanders to senior wide receiver Corey Mazza that went for a touchdown.

“When you’re not controlling the line of scrimmage, you definitely have to be creative,” Murphy said. “You have to have some finesse stuff. But it wasn’t comfortable play calling.”

That came only after Lehigh had shown some trickery of its own. The Mountain Hawks attempted a reverse option on their opening drive, but fumbled the pitch.

“We thought we could get some big plays off the misdirection,” Coen said.

Lehigh also got a 38-yard completion from wide receiver Mike Fitzgerald to Lee Thomas, which set up a field goal that put Lehigh ahead 17-7.

But a two-point loss left Coen wishing he’d gone to the well a little more often.

“I wish I’d called a few more,” he said.

MISCELLANIA

The win was Harvard’s first in the series since 1997. The all-time series, which dates to 1928, is tied at 6-6....Freshman running back Cheng Ho took over as the kickoff returner beside senior Neil Sherlock, replacing senior Clifton Dawson....Mazza’s touchdown catch in the second quarter tied him for second place on Harvard’s all-time career receiving touchdowns list....The team suffered a pair of injuries. Senior defensive tackle Michael Berg suffered a mild concussion in the third quarter, while sophomore cornerback Andrew Berry had a mild ankle sprain in the fourth....Freshman wide receiver Matt Luft caught his first career touchdown pass on Saturday, a 42-yard grab in the second quarter.

—Staff writer Brad Hinshelwood can be reached at bhinshel@fas.harvard.edu.

Football