Revamped Linebacking Corps Stifles Opponents

By Mauricio A. Cruz, Contributing Writer

Ferocious all year and unrelenting in their defensive attack schemes, Harvard’s own version of the “Steel Curtain” has made one thing abundantly clear to their opponents—if you try to run against them, you will get mauled.

As close a certainty as death and taxes, week after week, the Crimson defense has wreaked havoc on its opponents’ rushing games and demolished opposing running backs with its speed and intensity. Brown’s running backs are still reeling after their debacle earlier in the season, producing only 41 yards on the ground on 21 attempts.

Despite a tumultuous season when off-field issues threatened to derail Harvard’s linebacking corps, the Crimson has kept pushing forward in its quest for an Ivy League championship through the excellent play of veteran upperclassmen and unheralded first-year starters. The linebacking corps’ depth was tested, but one wouldn’t know that based on its recent play.

“I would not have thought that we would be able to weather the storm going into the season at linebacker as well as we have,” said Harvard head coach Tim Murphy. “It just shows that we’ve done a solid job evaluating and recruiting linebackers [who have] done a great job handling game situations.”

More than just handling game situations, the linebacking corps has been downright nasty in stopping their opponents. Led by senior captain Ryan Tully, the linebacking corps and the rest of the Harvard defense have only allowed 50.2 yards per game, the best average in all of Division I-AA.

The Crimson also ranks first among Division I-AA in sacks per game and tackles for loss, producing nearly six sacks and 9.4 tackles for loss per game thus far.

It’s easy to pile up the numbers when individuals produce stellar performances—like sophomore linebacker Sonny McCracken’s display of defensive ruthlessness.

After emerging as a starter during the season, McCracken made his presence known to Lafayette quarterback Brad Maurer. On three consecutive plays, McCracken broke through the line and recorded a sack on each snap, giving him a total of five sacks for the season.

Fellow sophomore linebackers Matthew Thomas and Glenn Dorris have also contributed to Harvard’s defensive staunchness. Unexpectedly placed into starting roles, Thomas and Dorris have exceeded expectation, developing a knack for being around the ball. Dorris has accumulated 27 total tackles and one sack during the season, including his first lifetime interception against Lafayette.

“What Glenn Dorris and Matt Thomas [have done this season] has been inspiring, because I’m not sure we could have counted on them for that much production,” Murphy said.

These young emerging stalwarts have benefited from the example set by the unit’s only returning starter, Tully. He has racked up 30 tackles and two interceptions to provide a solid anchor from his outside linebacker spot.

“Ryan’s the leader of our team [and] our defense. He has a very motivating and calming affect on those other linebackers,” Murphy said. “He has great integrity and he’s such an understated guy, yet [he’s] experienced and proven. He’s a natural to lead those guys.”

It’s a testament to the cohesiveness of the Crimson defense that they have yet to allow an opponent to have over 100 yards rushing in a game. In fact, the last time an opposing runner ran for over 100 yards was on September 24th, 2005 when Nick Hartigan of Brown University ran for 115 yards.

The linebackers are taking on an even more critical role in pass defense after opponents moved the ball through the air seemingly at will in Harvard’s first four games.

Some adjustments were put on display against Lafayette this past weekend. “We did mix it up more [on defense],” Murphy said. “We’d been so intent on stopping the run the first couple of games that we realized our defensive line [is] playing well enough to take a guy out of the box and into the pass game.”

Even with the focus on the passing game, the Crimson defense, augmented by its talented block of sophomore linebackers, still asserted itself in the Lafayette backfield.

Simply put, the arrival of linebackers like Dorris, McCracken, and Thomas to the starting lineup have rejuvenated an already talented defensive squad and have placed the rest of the Ivy League on alert.

Football