SPORTS BRIEF: Cross country bring seven runners to compete in 17th annual Mayor’s Cup yesterday morning in Boston.

By The Crimson Staff

The 17th annual Mayor’s Cup took place yesterday at Franklin Park in Boston, and the Harvard men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the 8000 meter race and the 5000 meter race, respectively.

This weeks result with only part of the team competing came on the heels of an impressive performance a week ago.

A week ago in the Pre-Nationals open race in Terre Haute, Ind., the Crimson men took home the victory, while the women took sixth in their side of the draw.

The meet was presented by the Boston Athletic Association, and Harvard did not send full teams, but rather only entered seven runners in the race as a lead up to next weekend’s Heptagonal Championships.

The lead male runner, senior Patrick Baur, came through the line in 26:56—good enough for 111th overall.

Following him up were freshmen Brian Kaufman and Stephan Chester, and then junior Haibo Lu.

The trio of Harvard runners finished 124 133, and 134 place in times of 27:16, 27:29, and 27:37, respectively.

On the women’s side of the Mayor’s Cup, senior Erika Helbling finished in 83rd place—the best Harvard place on the day—with a time of 20:03 in the 5000 meter race.

The next two racers for the Crimson came in within a minute and a half of each other—and at most, two minutes behind Helbling—were freshman Jessica Setlesss (20:36) in 97th place and junior Tiffany Abramson (22:07) in 103rd.

The next meet, in which the full squads will compete, comes this weekend at the Heptagonal Championships. The meet is the defacto Ivy League championship and will be raced at Van Cortlandt Park in New York City.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Track and Cross Country