SPORTS BRIEF: In exhibition, Olympians go head-to-head as women’s hockey upends McGill 2-1 at Bright Hockey Center.

By Jonathan Lehman, Crimson Staff Writer

Now it’s on to the regular season for the No. 8 Harvard women’s hockey team.

The Crimson played its one and only scheduled exhibition Saturday afternoon at Bright Hockey Center, downing McGill, 2-0.

Last week, Harvard did get on the ice against Dartmouth for an informal encounter. The Crimson used the time to see its players in real on-ice action, according to Harvard coach Katey Stone.

The contest marked the return to home ice for the Crimson’s trio of Olympians, who missed all of last year to participate in the Winter Games, and all three figured in the scoring this weekend.

Senior co-captain Julie Chu notched the game-winner at 3:57 of the second period on an assist from sophomore Sarah Vaillancourt, who took home a gold medal after playing with Team Canada in Turin last winter. Vaillancourt also led the team with 10 shots.

Chu’s U.S. national squad teammate, junior Caitlin Cahow, got in on the act when she set up senior Katie Johnston for a breathing-room score, and a 2-0 lead, with 2:25 left in the middle frame.

As it turned out, one goal was all goalie Brittany Martin needed to preserve the victory, as the sophomore was brilliant in net, turning away 24 McGill shots in a complete-game shutout.

Martin’s counterpart, Charline Labonte, a fellow of Vaillancourt’s on the Canadian national team, was also excellent, making 36 saves on the afternoon.

Senior co-captain Jennifer Sifers and sophomore Kati Vaughn also registered assists and five of the team’s freshman made their competitive debuts in the outing.

The Crimson’s official season gets underway this weekend as it hosts Rensselaer and Union at 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

—JONATHAN LEHMAN

Women's Ice Hockey