Sexiling Isn’t The Worst Thing A Roommate Can Do

Harvard has a reputation for being cutthroat, so it’s not difficult to imagine that under the constant pressure to overachieve,
By Sharon Wang

Harvard has a reputation for being cutthroat, so it’s not difficult to imagine that under the constant pressure to overachieve, a student might snap every once and awhile. But just how likely is it that your close friend or roommate might go a little batty? The answer: don’t book your suitemate into McLean quite yet.

Most freshman have heard that Harvard “red-flags” students that seem just a little unstable. Director of Behavioral Health and Academic Counseling Paul J. Barreira confirms that rumor is false, and no such flags are hoisted. Still, many students feel the need to reach out.

According to Barreira, each semester roughly 13 to 14 percent of students take advantage of the University’s therapy and counseling. Apparently, that number ain’t so bad; he says that the number of students at Harvard suffering from depression or anxiety matches similar statistics at colleges across the nation.

Freshman proctor Leonard G. H. Wood—currently in his second year of proctoring—has encountered first-years dealing with a variety of depression symptoms, including skipping classes or meals, insomnia and having difficulty interacting socially with other students. However, almost all of the harm is self-contained.

“I’ve seen and I’ve heard of depression that affects the person himself very severely and maybe the people he lives with, but nothing beyond,” says Wood.

According to Barreira, the College takes extra care to provide resources for students they feel may have more trouble adjusting, such as international students or students from rural communities. Indeed, though, there is no red flag that indicates certain students have had a history of depression or are in immediate need of therapy, and there is no red flag that suggests a student will harm others.

“There are more examples of violence caused by drinking than anything else,” says Barreira.

So before clearing out of your room, you might just want to clear out the Molson.