Crimson Falls Flat at Heptagonals

By Wayne E. Gavioli, Crimson Staff Writer

A number of quotes and clichés come to mind when examining the results from Friday’s Ivy League Heptagonals championships, but the one that best encapsulated the Crimson cross country team’s performance this weekend was: the more things change, the more they stay the same.

In the end, a new coaching staff, a different training regiment and a renewed vigor weren’t enough to keep the men’s cross county team out of the Ivy League cellar, as the Crimson once again finished last at the Heptagonal Championships at Van Cortlandt Park in New York City this past weekend, placing No. 8 out of eight teams with a score of 174.

The women’s cross country team fared no better than the men’s, also finishing No. 8 out of eight teams with a score of 237.

“Going into the race, everyone’s goal as a team was [to place in] the top four,” junior Ryan Hafer said. “Looking back now, it was still a reasonable goal going in...a couple of guys just didn’t race up to their potential.”

Senior Sean Barrett echoed such sentiments.

“I was disappointed with what happened,” Barrett said. “We hammered Yale last race [Pre-Nationals] and they ended up finishing fourth today.”

“It was really unfortunate—there were a couple of things we couldn’t control,” Hafer added. “Like Sean falling.”

Barrett, a victim of bad luck at the most inopportune time, fell over a wooden irrigation log four miles into the race, sending him plummeting to No. 36 place and a time of 25:28.

“I was hoping to get an all-league spot, and I was in position to do it when I fell,” Barrett said. “It’s so disappointing.”

Despite the poor team performance, runners agreed that progress, however infinitesimal, was being made.

One silver lining was the performance of Hafer. Continuing his solid season with a breakthrough personal-best performance, the junior led the Crimson with a time of 25:08 for the eight-kilometer course, placing No. 13 and earning Second-Team All-Conference accolades in the process.

“I was hoping to be under 25:00 by the end of the season, so I was happy with the big [personal record],” Hafer said.

The Crimson also improved in many other ways over last year’s performance, recording a faster team time, a higher top place, and a lower team score.

Don’t tell that to Barrett, though: racing in his last Heptagonals championship meet, he took little consolation in the team’s improvement, instead harping on the team’s last place finish.

“You go out there to race people, not looking for some time,” an audibly irritated Barrett responded. “The [improvement in times] wasn’t [a silver lining] for me, and I certainly hope it wouldn’t be for other people.”

The lone bright spot for the women in the meet was the performance of freshman Stacy Carlson. Running in her first collegiate championship meet, she handled herself with the composure and determination of a seasoned veteran, covering the five-kilometer course in a time of 18:25 for No. 31 place, the fastest time for the Crimson women on the day.

“I wasn’t that nervous going in,” Carlson said. “I was just focused on trying my hardest and using the momentum I got from training to have a good race.”

Behind Carlson was junior Sarah Bourne, who placed No. 49 with a time of 19:08, and sophomore Tara Bryant, who finished No. 50 with a time of 19:12.

The men’s and women’s varsity teams will rest next weekend, then look to bounce back at the NCAA Regionals Meet in two weeks at Van Cortlandt Park.

Track and Cross Country