NOTEBOOK: Offense, power play stall in 2006-07 debut of Harvard hockey

By Karan Lodha, Crimson Staff Writer

HANOVER, N.H.—The No. 11 Harvard men’s hockey team’s offense floundered in a 5-2 season opening loss to Dartmouth as the Big Green stifled the Crimson’s man-advantage units Friday night at Thompson Arena.

Despite earning seven power-play opportunities, Harvard tallied only one score on special teams all night, repeatedly failing to set up its offense in Dartmouth’s zone.

The Crimson squandered its best chance of the night early in the game. With the Big Green’s Nick Johnson already in the penalty box for hooking, Dartmouth winger Tanner Glass earned a minor for cross-checking, giving Harvard a full minute of 5-on-3 play.

But the Crimson, unable to maintain control of the puck, barely threatened the net during the two-man advantage. The shorthanded Big Green actually had the most dangerous shot on goal, as winger Rob Pritchard forced a save from Harvard goaltender Justin Tobe.

“Not only did we not score, but we didn’t really create chances,” said Crimson coach Ted Donato ’91, adding, “It’s tough to win on the road when you don’t execute.”

Even Harvard’s lone powerplay goal of the game required some assistance from Dartmouth. Senior forward Ryan Maki fired a shot towards the Big Green goal from the left faceoff circle that seemed as if it would stray wide right, but the puck caromed off Glass’ skate and past netminder Mike Devine at 11:12 of the second period.

The score cut Dartmouth’s lead to 3-2, but that was all the luck the Crimson would get, as Devine shut out Harvard for the rest of the night.

“It’s one thing if you get great chances and the goalie comes up and makes great saves,” Donato said. “He played well, but I don’t think he was the difference early on.”

NOT SO TENACIOUS ‘D’

The Crimson struggled equally in its own zone, as Harvard’s defense failed to match the intensity of the Big Green’s skaters.

Time and time again, Dartmouth beat the Crimson to the puck, giving the Big Green a series of odd-man rushes that created several scoring chances—some of which resulted in goals.

“They weren’t making tape-to-tape passes,” captain Dylan Reese said. “They were just chipping it off the glass, moving it around, and just putting it in spaces where we weren’t and winning the footraces.”

The barrage of Dartmouth goals shone the spotlight on Tobe, as the senior allowed five goals in his first contest as the established starter.

That total included two Big Green scores just 34 seconds apart, as center T.J. Galliardi followed up David Jones’ tally at 14:45 of the second period with a goal from the left faceoff circle at 15:19.

Though Tobe remained in net for the rest of the game without allowing another score, the damage was done, as Dartmouth maintained its 5-2 lead to take the first of two games against its travel partner.

“I don’t think that he had a lot of help back there,” Donato said. “He would have had to be just short of miraculous for us to be in that game.”

FINAL TICKS

Two juniors who saw significant playing time last season did not dress for Harvard. Forward Paul Dufault, who led the Crimson in goals early last season, is out indefinitely with a leg injury. Blueliner J.D. McCabe was also out of uniform....The Crimson outshot the Big Green 32-29, including 15-7 in the third period....Of the 74 total shots Harvard attempted, 26 were blocked by the Dartmouth defense....The Crimson begins its home slate this weekend, when Clarkson and St. Lawrence travel to Cambridge.

—Staff writer Karan Lodha can be reached at klodha@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Ice Hockey