SPORTS BRIEF: Princeton Chase brings second disappointment of season for Harvard.

After placing No. 11 at the Head of the Charles a week ago in Cambridge, the Harvard varsity lightweights incurred another disappointment at the Princeton Chase yesterday in N.J.

The Crimson, which finished No. 4 last year with its varsity eight, entered two varsity eights in this year’s competition.

The Harvard varsity skidded to No. 22 in this year’s Chase, however, with the second varsity coming just behind at No. 23. The varsity eight finished with a time of 15:25.77 over the 2.75-mile course, and the second varsity crossed the line shortly behind at 15:28.06.

A fierce headwind and choppy waters in the last half of the course made the racing difficult and the times much slower than they were a year ago.

Cornell’s B entry took home first place in the race with a time of 14:25.74, and Navy’s B-entry finished a very close second at 14:25.91.

Cornell’s A-entry took third place, while Princeton and Navy’s A-entry rounded out the top five.

The Harvard varsity will see its final fall 2006 action in the annual Tail of the Charles race, held Nov. 18.

-THE CRIMSON STAFF

PreviewsMen's Crew