Tiny Books For Big People

Before Harvard Yale, there were books aplenty—and no, it wasn’t the pre-Turkey Day cram, but rather the 30th Annual Boston
By Megan E. Carey

Before Harvard Yale, there were books aplenty—and no, it wasn’t the pre-Turkey Day cram, but rather the 30th Annual Boston International Antiquarian Book Fair Nov. 17 at the Hynes Convention Center.

Exhibitors hailed from exotic locales like the Netherlands, London, and Paris, not to mention the countless collectors who flocked to this historic literary mecca to browse and collect rare volumes.

There was something for every bibliophile, with prices ranging from ten dollars to hundreds of thousands. In addition to books, items available included diaries, letters, sketches, and even a visa application filled out by Che Guevara. Guests attended panels running throughout the weekend, which included a College Student Collectors’ Roundtable discussion featuring Harvard’s very own Michael Hays Sanchez ’07 for his collection of French avant-garde literature.

Among the exciting finds were a first edition Emancipation Proclamation pamphlet from the Civil War era, a first American edition of “Alice in Wonderland,” and an original copy of the Alcoholics Anonymous’ “Big Book.” The mention of Harvard prompted exhibitioners to show off such treasured relics as former University president John Thornton Kirkland’s original published writings and pamphlets, diary entries, and a copy of his resignation letter, as well as an inscribed first edition of 1899’s “The Rough Riders” by Teddy Roosevelt, Class of 1880. For those with more modest budgets, one bookseller displayed moderately priced pop-up books.

Whether looking to pick up a studious, studly intellectual, or just hoping to supplement your library of leather-bound books, Boston’s International Antiquarian Fair has you covered.

Well, maybe next year.