Healey Highlights Differences

By Paras D. Bhayani, Crimson Staff Writer

Lieutenant Governor Kerry M. Healey ’82 likes to point out that she and her opponent—Deval L. Patrick ’78—have a lot in common: both are social liberals who support abortion rights and stem cell research; both rose from modest means, attended Harvard, and became wealthy; and both would make history by being elected Massachusetts governor—Healey as the first woman, Patrick as the first black leader.

Despite their similarities, Healey has based her campaign on highlighting their differences. She pummeled Patrick for his more liberal positions, including his support for a plan that would offer the children of illegal immigrants in-state tuition rates, his spending plans, and his opposition to rolling back the state income tax from 5.3 to 5 percent. Most controversially, she has run advertisements attacking Patrick for his advocacy on behalf of Benjamin LaGuer, a convicted rapist who continues to maintain his innocence.

Lost in much of the back and forth has been a consideration of Healey’s credentials and the plans she has laid out. Healey’s campaign has drafted a 50-point plan with specific proposals on everything from increasing the legislature’s transparency to raising education standards to reducing state spending.

While she does makes reference to her 50-point plan—almost always in the context of attacking Patrick for having vague proposals in contrast—she speaks little about her service in Gov. W. Mitt Romney’s administration. Though she aligns herself with parts of the administration’s record, especially the health care legislation passed in April, she has faced a dilemma in appearing too close to the governor, whose approval rating is 43 percent according to an October Survey USA poll.

Healey has faced a tough road in trying to extend the 16-year Republican domination of the governor’s mansion in a year that portends well for Democrats. And though she has relied largely on the strategy that proved successful for her predecessors—highlighting her moderate positions on abortion and stem cells while pushing a reduction in the income tax—polls have Healey trailing Patrick by 21 points a day before the election.

—Staff writer Paras D. Bhayani can be reached at pbhayani@fas.harvard.edu.