Men’s tennis finds success in doubles at Dartmouth Invitational.

By Crimson staff

At the end of three days of play in the Big Green Invitational, the Harvard men’s tennis team did not have impressive singles results. But things could not have been much better in the doubles draw.

The team of juniors Ashwin Kumar and Kieran Burke were seeded No. 1 overall and made their way into the finals, but the freshman Michael Hayes and junior Dan Nguyen were just an after thought.

And in the end, Hayes and Nguyen surprised not only most of the opposition—they were seeded No. 30 entering the tournament—but also upended their Harvard teammates 8-5 in the final to win the doubles part of the tournament.

Kumar did not have as impressive results in the singles’ Flight A despite also being the top-seed in that draw as well. Kumar fell to Daniel Freeman of Dartmouth 6-3, 6-4 in the semifinals.

Nguyen also made a run into the semifinals—on the other side of the draw—and lost to eventual champion and second seeded Bogdan Borta by a score of 7-5, 3-6, 11-9.

In the B singles, Burke was seeded fifth and made a strong run into the finals, where he lost by a 6-3, 6-4 score to Ray Josephs of Marist.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Men's Tennis